Friday, January 13, 2012

 

The Tube at Broadbridge Heath.

Quiet day today and I enjoyed the warmth of the sun pouring through the windows, even though temperatures have dropped.
I saw the frost and ice this morning and almost cheered!
We need a time of cold in winter to help kill off bugs and bacteria in the air and the soil. Or is that an old wives' tale.....I am an old wife after all!
This morning I did much the same as last Friday.
I dyed my hair.
I knew that having made it too dark last week, it would be a losing battle to lighten it up.
Despite the colour being almost no lighter, it is 100% better. The scary harshness has gone now.
This afternoon we entertained Frieda to tea and biscuits.
She was worried that she is to have a blood test and a urine test next week. "Oh, what do they think I've got now?" Of course I don't know if these tests will reveal anything, but I did point out that she is lucky now she is within the system. The fact that she has been treated for a cancer means that she will be monitored regularly.
This evening we are going to the post card club.
Last evening, you may recall we were timekeeping in The Tube.
I took some pictures there last night before the racing started. There may only be 2 more sprints evenings in The Tube because Horsham Council have almost decided to sell the land, knock down the leisure centre and allow somebody to make money there. I have heard that they are re-considering - but cynical me thinks, well, they would say that wouldn't they?

This shows the tube from the finishing line down to the start.
The track for racing is 50 metres long - the tube is longer of course because there is a need for a slowing down bit before runners hit the wall. The wall is protected with thick crash mats - should rephrase that....the wall would survive; the crash mats are to protect the runners.




The entire length of The Tube has athletics murals painted.

The hurdlers on the right are David Hemery  and Chris Akabusi.
Akabusi holds The Tube record for hurdles and maybe sprint too. And I missed it.

Ovett, Coe and Cram. Jamie has already complained that the artist has it wrong - Cram should be the tallest of the 3.
Sprint start - Alan Wells and Linford Christie.

From the start looking towards the finishing line.


















A few pictures for fellow officials to enjoy.
Don Turner, who was a top class distance runner in his day chatting with Barbara.














I said "Smile, Bill!"

The track judges and timekeepers stand together on the same steps.
















It is good to arrive early - time, then, to chat with friends.
Not much time for chatting once the races start - and certainly no time for taking photographs.

I sat at the front and was chief timekeeper.








Our next meeting in The Tube is in 3 weeks.

Now I must cook food - well, heat it up.
We popped into the big Tescos by the sports centre after the athletics. I wanted to get another hair dye.
We found that all the things they had left that had to be sold that day had been reduced to 10p.
We have already enjoyed carrot and maple syrup soup today for 10p. It is one of the Covent garden range and sells for about £2 normally.
I have 2 more in the freezer.
Now we will have a meat balls dish and a tiny roast chicken dish (from their children's range) - both 10p each. I will do some extra potatoes and cabbage.

Labels: