Tuesday, January 03, 2012

 

Back to normality - except for the weather.

Suddenly life was supposed to return to normal after what was, for many, a long Christmas and New Year break.
But the weather decided to attempt to thwart normality.
The winds were so strong, noisy and fierce outside the bedroom window. The trees were tossed about like ships on a rough see.
The rain was torrential.
We assumed it was much worse in the north of England and into Scotland - but maybe not.
Trees have been uprooted, branches fell, buildings damaged and sadly there have been two deaths in this part of the world.

This is on the edge of Crawley.

This is near Dorking. The bus driver is very seriously injured in hospital tonight. I wish him well.


What a contrast with the pictures I took of Brighton pier last week.

I assume nobody would have been riding on the Brighton Wheel today.



















I assumed, too, that few people would be out in Dorking today.
I was right.
We drove there with no problems- all the trees by the road were standing.
Sales have been exceedingly few today......not zero on the sales sheet, but almost.
We sold one vase today and I spent £2 on a joke item for somebody as a gift.
I decided to use my time in the shop constructively. I had thought to go through my books and reduce anything in price that I had had for more than a year.
I began this, but then moved everything around instead.
I had planned to do this next week.....but it's done now.
There was aslo plenty of time for chatting and tea drinking.
Monika came in for a chat.....eyes still sparkling from sharing the birth of her grand son on New Years Eve....baby Logan.
We decided to shut the shop half an hour early. There seemed little point waiting for an elusive customer and we thought it best to drive home before complete darkness in case of lurking dangers on the road.

I hope that if you have been subjected to severe weather today, it has not disrupted normality too much. I expect schools and offices and factories etc have managed to grind into action once more.