Saturday, August 27, 2011

 

My latest addiction.

This will be brief - hard to tear myself away from new addiction!
I felt so good about having read some of the letters in the suitcase yesterday that a feeling grew that I owed it to my mother to sort them out and allow for yet more understanding to grow in me.
I owe it to myself as well.
But what a task!
I have described it as a combination of family history, a grand romance and a jigsaw puzzle.
Some letters (of several pages) come in their entirety - but many more are found as parts of letters and loose pages.
And there are thousands of pages - letters were posted back and forth daily.
When I have found all the complete letters and sorted them into years, I might then be able to unite loose pages with their rightful other pages to produce more complete letters.
I have found one or two letters written by my maternal grandparents to my mother as well.
All this will be shared with relevant people within the family of course.

I was away from this work for some hours though - timekeeping.
Today there was an athletics match in Division 1 of the National League. Just as in football these days - Division 1 doesn't actually mean the topmost league.
In the case of athletics it means the second level of competition.
The standards are high - the highest we have seen for quite some time.
The standard of competition is actually too high for Crawley just now - and we were relegated.
Next year we may well be the stars of Division 2 and go straight back up again.
Today there were more than enough timekeepers - and electric timekeeping too.
I was not particularly impressed with my own standards today - too many hundredths of a second error for my liking.
I worked with a very lovely man today - name of Bill. You might know him!

Dr Who returned to TV - it is crazy and weird and surreal. And yet - a completely positive experience. The current writers and directors and actors have created something special.

Labels: