Tuesday, June 14, 2011

 

West Hoathly Sussex

What a busy day!
This morning I had a medical appointment - a bone scan to see if I have any signs of osteoporosis. There is much in my history which could lead me on that path.
There has been more wrapping and dealing with sales.

But the main part of the day was given to pleasure.
Where could we go that might enthral us, but not be too far away from home.
I just wonder how it is that in all the years of our lives we know almost nothing of West Hoathly?
The road leads by the village and that is what I have known. Even has a young person I used to covet some of the cottages on the ridge with lovely views from the back gardens.
Today we saw and learned much more.
There are signs on the road to The Priest House - what was it? We decided to pay our £3s and see for ourselves.



The house was built in the 15th century as an outpost of Lewes Priory.
Since 1908 it has housed a museum.

We had a picnic in the garden before exploring the museum.



The roof of Horsham Stone was lovely - so much history and life under that roof.


Sweet pea flowers.

Much of the garden was planted with herbs and medicinal plants.
We bought a meadow sweet and were told it contains salicylic acid - same as aspirin.








I must point out that there was a notice that instructed "No Photography in the House".
But we were alone and I took some photos anyway.
















A bier, that was used in the local churchyard to carry coffins from the altar to the grave until the 1930s.






















The cabinet on the bier contains artefacts and documents that belonged to the curator's father. The curator lives in one end of the Priest House.

The iron contraption on the bed was to warm the bed. Basically, light a little fire in the container set in the iron framework.




The manhole cover was not a museum exhibit - but good to see one that was made so close by, at Ardingly.
I am sure I am not the only one who reads manhole covers!






























The Manor House was a real pleasure. I have no idea if it is lived in now.



























































The church yard and church land is, I am sure, unique - and now totally unsuitable for that bier we saw earlier.
The steep slope was terraced in the 1930s.






























I am sure they could find room for me here, when my time comes!
I lived as a baby close by and with the South Downs in the distance it somehow is a very meaningful place for me.

The date March 31st 1626, picked out in large iron nails on the church door.





























































It was a lovely day - the sun shone.

Labels: