Monday, June 13, 2011

 

People buying things

It was a busy day in Dorking - Mondays often are.
I guess the total takings of just over £300 don't appear to be very much, but it keeps most of us happy.
There was one sale today in a West Street antiques shop which was £300 on its own. We heard all about from one of our regular customers.
She came into us all excited because she had seen a 1920s black beaded 1920s/30s dress with a fine black hand made lace cape.
She talked us through her excitement and then suddenly said "I must go back and buy it".
She brought it back for Monika and I to see - well, Monika mostly who felt able to give advice on the quality of the lace etc.
Monika feels that in a London shop the dress and cape would sell for nigh on £1,000. It is possible that the cape will be going up to Christies and may be sold separately - it is not a matching item actually.
So, maybe her dress will cost her nothing.
My sale of the day can't match that.
Last November I bought quite a bit in a shop at Menai Bridge - there is very little left now. There were 2 Victorian metal hanging egg baskets - and nobody seeemed very interested in them in Dorking. One was brought home a couple of weeks ago to go to a car boot sale. Suddenly today, the better one was found and is off to a family who keep chickens.

I came home to deal with a few EBay sales - a Nibletts mineral water bottle (of Swindon) is on its way to Wiltshire for £13.50.
It is bottle time for me - I had sold 2 in the shop last week.
Tomorrow 3 more will sell - the Horsham bottle is now over £16.
Rulers are on the move too.
I have wrapped one right angled long ruler.
Now I have another to wrap - probably with the tailor's ruler which is a yard and a quarter long.

Well, I was intending to watch a programme about the lives of the Walton sextuplets. I do like programmes which peer into other people's lives.