Thursday, April 21, 2011

 

Spring Cleaning

I hate the sunshine!
Not what you would expect to hear I am quite sure!
And of course I  do really love it, but doesn't it show the dust up more?
We collect dust at an even faster rate than things. It seems to be displayed to best effect in the bedroom!
So today became Spring Cleaning Day.
The bedroom is clean and sparkly and very much refreshed.
There has been some decluttering of things - as well as a major discarding of dust. I cleared out quite a lot.















I had a basket full of necklaces, thick with dust. They are hardly ever worn.
The quickest way to clean them was to dump them in the washing up bowl and hang them out to dry.

Photography was far from our minds as we worked - no photos of thick dust for you to feel superior about!
Here are a few, taken when we had almost finished.



















Bill sees no dust!




















The proud housewife surveys the shiny dust free shelves.












These are shelves above the bed on my side of the room.
A few memories and pleasures on those shelves.
Do you see our wedding photo? Taken almost 46 years ago.
But I have rejected quite a bit which had been held on to for all sorts of mixed reasons. I once held a kind of guilt about even thinking of removing things from my life which have been given to me or associated with the past.
I feel so much more free of that guilt these days.
I hope it is a sign that at my advanced age I now know who I am and no longer need a lot of things to prove it to myself.




















These are all souvenirs - so let nobody think that I have rejected everything. But there was just too much on those shelves. I sat on the bed and looked at shelves that were a bit overpowering.
These are holiday souvenirs - mostly from the last 20 years. I guess that these last 20 years have been very strong in formulating who I am now.
On the bottom shelf are some things from Slovenia; above that we have Thailand and above that there are things from many places, Wales, Ireland, France, Bulgaria, Germany, Denmark and the Isle of Wight.
Enlarge the picture to see all.
The silly wooden toy with fluffy hair was bought in Denmark before we were married.

Bill has been collecting wind ups for many years - not just any old clockwork toy, but characters from TV, films etc.
Some have been put aside - but I think he felt a bit bad about discarding characters!

Bedtime will come as most needed for our weary bodies and we will enjoy feeling as though the room is new.

Labels: