Monday, April 18, 2011

 

Dorking Business

Well, that was a busy day!
First Monika and I unpacked the new stock we had taken in, envying each other's luck in finding good things.
I had a doll - could it have once been Monika's?
It was certainly very much the same, even down to 2 chewed fingers!
She was tempted.
My little photo frame, she coveted greatly. Would I do a swap for something of hers?



















It is very much her sort of thing - early 20th century from the Arts and Crafts Movement. But it is mine for the time being - until Monika, or somebody else buys it.

I did sell quite a bit today.
There were lots of people about this afternoon. One is a regular dealer who calls in, who sells in London. We saw  her on one of the TV antiques programmes recently - Bargain Hunt I think. How silly is the concept of going into a London antiques centre to buy things to try and make a profit in an auction.
Another person in was a man opening a pub tomorrow in Abinger. He felt he needed more to decorate his bars. He was in luck because Jonathan, who is cutting back to one area had reduced in price many pictures, which are very suitable for a pub wall.
I'm glad There were not too many people in this morning, because I found myself re-organing my section again.
I like it better how it was before the last re-arrange.
And each Monday I take in fresh stock and want those bits to be seen at their best.


I like to have old bottles, with local interest.


The jug is interesting. I have seen many gurgling fish vases - there is a gurgling sound as liquid is poured from them. The mermaid would appear to be much rarer. Look at those nipples!
The backs of the playing cards are very mildly erotic too - advertising a clothing company of the 1950s.
The plastic box with the roll top I felt sure would be popular.
And I was right - yesterday morning it was on a car boot sale stall at Pease Pottage, this morning it was taking pride of place on my shelves and this afternoon it moved on again.

I brought home a box full of stuff - some for a charity shop and other bits which I will list with a very low starting price on Ebay tomorrow.

Finally - rather late in the day, I will wish Mam a happy birthday.
We look back 5 years to a party in Chumphon for Mam's birthday with many from her family. That was happy day. The family are all together again this year.
It is rather too late in the day - because as I write it is no longer Mam's birthday. She is fast asleep in the wee small hours of Tuesday morning.

Labels: