Wednesday, March 02, 2011

 

Going on a journey

The main news concerns next week, rather than today.
We have committed ourselves to much.
But I just had to.
Next Thursday, Ashley and Liz will be moving to Newcastle.
Everything is fixed - apart from all the informing of people that has to be done.
The removal people are sorted and paid for.
But removal people seem not prepared to transport cats. They say it would be too stressful for the cats!
So, instead of a 5 hour drive, sitting in their box but not being moved, Ashley and the cats faced a 6 or 7 hour journey on a series of trains.
Do we not think that the train journey would have been more stressful for the cats? Not to mention Ashley!
I couldn't stop myself - I had to offer to make things better for my wee boy! You know, the one that reached the grand old age of 40 just 2 days ago!
It has worked out like this. The money for fuel will cost about the same, probably a bit less, than the train journeys that Ashley, Liz and Ecky would have to make. Liz and Ecky would have left very early in the morning so as to be in Newcastle to collect the keys to the house well before the removal men arrive.
Ashley would have had to lock up return the keys to the estate agents and then begin his tortuous journey with the cats - arriving some time.

We will travel to North Wales on Tuesday and stay with Pete and Jean - for which we are truly grateful. We are looking forward to a lovely day with them on Wednesday.
On Thursday we collect the family and the cats and drive to Newcastle.
It will be a bit of a squash - 5 of us, 2 cats and our luggage, but easier for them.
I am not sure where we will stay. Maybe we will get a Travel Lodge type room. Or maybe we could drop down onto the bed settee in the bungalow.
The next day we will travel back south to Sussex.
A round trip of about 900 miles.
But that's what parents do, I guess.

Today began with a trip to the dentist. My rotten teeth were examined again, but I already knew of 2 teeth that he would have to look at more closely. These have now been patched up.
We called in at Asda for bread and milk and a few bits.
We collected medication from the local pharmacy and posted some parcels.
This afternoon Bill photographed clothes - clothes I have bought that I thought I could sell very cheaply on EBay. I described them - some from M&S, some from Monsoon and so on. I had bought them from car boot sales in the hope that I would wear them, but I discovered that they were one size too small for me. Quite a few already have watchers - more interest in clothes just now, than books.

Tomorrow we look forward to a day out with some friends.
We are meeting up at the entrance to Wakehurst Place for a walk and then some lunch together.
I hope the weather is as good as today. Yes, it was chilly - but it was bright and sunny for much of the day.