Sunday, February 27, 2011

 

Memories of old times

This morning was quite like old times - and my mind was full of memories too.
We went to the car boot sale held at the Ardingly show ground and met up with some ex Rocking Horse people.
We bought a few things to sell and we bought clothes.
By my side is a bag of 10 T shirts of the XL or XXL variety - they were 50p each. They are all good makes in excellent condition and are suitable for Ashley and Bill.
From the same people Bill and I bought a jacket/coat.


This picture shows most of the things I bought, over the weekend, spread across the dining room table.
Enlarge it so see all the interesting things!
Pride of place must go to the art deco bowl in the centre, in which the doll is placed.
I could see that the bowl had all the appearances of a Clarice Cliffe design and the manufacturer was Wilkinson, who Clarice designed for. In her early days she was just an employee and didn't sign her work.
The rim of the bowl is hallmarked silver - tomorrow in the shop I will check the year.
But I have already checked the design and it is a Clarice Cliffe.
The bowl has a hairline crack on the inside and the seller at Ford yesterday sold it to me for £5. He had also wondered about the Clarice Cliffe connection.
My first estimate at a price - and prices are always guesses - is to put it out for £65.
I'll have a chat with Monika tomorrow and she might persuade me to go higher (or maybe lower!).


This set is not silver of course.
I was pleased to find the complete set - a tea set. It is chrome of course and made by Swan Brand. It dates from the 1950s or maybe 60s.
It cost me £1.


My £3 coat. A good thing I found one really - because I left my £1 coat (originally from Next) at cousin Pat's yesterday.


Bill's jacket was originally sold by Lands End.
Bill was not being a sensible model!
This afternoon we went out visiting. Our niece, Liz, was in Crawley for the weekend, staying with Bill's sister Jane.
Jane is due for a knee operation this coming week.
Liz is the mother of Henry and Isobel, our great niece and nephew.


Henry is 4.


Isobel is 2.




Liz played a matching pairs game with the children.
"I got 2 aliens" laughs Isobel delightedly.
I am halfway through sorting out some things to take to the shop tomorrow.
Some of today's chores and things to do will have to wait until the morning. But at least I will have no payments to deal with over the next couple of days.
And why did I begin by saying that my mind was full of memories?
Well on the last Sunday in February 40 years ago our little family was complete with the birth of Ashley.
As many know, this week brings many anniversaries of family births, marriages and deaths.
Today would have been the day to celebrate my mother's birthday. Today she would have been 87 - and many people reach that age. Sadly she did not.