Sunday, February 13, 2011

 

Sunday being busy

We didn't feel the need to be up and out too early this morning.
The fair wouldn't be open until 9 o'clock.
We called in at the Dorking car boot sale on the way. The weather forecast was for much rain, so it its hard to comment on the new management of this sale today. But the dealers have forsaken it. It is dying.
Our reason for a visit was to buy cat food. There is somebody there who sells boxes of Whiskas sachets of cat food (12 in a box) at 5 boxes for £10. Asda cannot match that price, even on a special offer.
Where do these people get their stock from?
Another stall had foodstuffs. I bought 2 jars of Marks and Spencers chutney for £1.50. It is in date. I am glad too, that I bought a big bottle of orange and passion fruit J2O on that stall. I felt extremely thirsty later on.
The fair was at the Woking Leisure Centre. We have been to it before, occasionally.
I bought some things, but Bill found almost nothing. He spent just £2.
We also bought some postcards.
We talked about getting a drink and a bite to eat, but decided to go home instead.
It was pouring with rain.
This afternoon I wrote up much of what has been bought this weekend.

I bought these this morning. They are very 1930s in style. I love the plastic and chrome cake plate.


Now we have moved forward to the 1950s.
The vase was bought this morning and I paid 50p for the plastic toast rack yesterday.


Items for another section in my area at Pilgrims.
The golly is by Deans - not sure when it dates from; it is probably 1970s.
The teddy is a Canterbury bear - and actually bought from the Canterbury couple.
Some Canterbury bears sell for £50 - £100; I doubt if that includes this one. If it does, then somebody will get a bargain at £20.

Something for the kitchen.
The wonderful old hook was, I believe, used by somebody lifting crates.


Old bags and bags carrying the right designer labels are popular. This little shoulder bag in a brilliant 1970s style colour may or may not fit those criteria. It is embossed with a badge and the words Golf Club. Monika might know if this is a desirable label.
The box has a paper circle depicting a squirrel and "registered trade mark" Inside the box is divided into triangles with card - as if it might have been for shortbread.

I bought this vase last week. Today I described and listed it on EBay. It has been a free listing day, so a good day to put on items with a higher opening bid.
It is etched on the base with the names of the men who have a glass studio in Pately Bridge, Yorkshire. The names had worn a bit thin and it was hard to decipher Sanders and Wallace, but we got there. I don't think this pattern is produced any more.
We enjoyed a roast beef dinner this evening. It was only a small joint of beef - which on its sell by day was reduced to £2; we felt we could justify eating all of it at one sitting!
Have you heard the rumours that winter will be returning - icy blasts will be heading this way from the Russian Steppes and may not clear until the middle of March. Oh dear!
I leave you with a question - the answer has completely eluded my brain. Ashley replied to a a jokey thing on facebook by his cousin Antony with a sentence of puns about glue.
I wanted to join in - I could talk about adhering to the spirit of the game.....and then suddenly I had a memory of a glue that used to be used by my Dad. It came in a plastic tub, it was quite solid and there was a plastic spatula to scrape off the amount you required. What I can almost experience as I sit here and write is the smell of marzipan.
What was the name of that glue somebody? Somebody of mature years I should think.
Bill has 1950s rock and roll on TV right now - ah, its on a channel called Vintage Pop.

Labels: