Tuesday, February 15, 2011

 

Pondering on life

A day to ponder on life and death, good fortune, stress and love.
Sadly, today our daughter in law, Liz, lost her father.
Our grand daughter, Ecky, has lost her Opa.
Ecky is 10 and has not experienced death of this magnitude before.

The death of a parent is hard - those at my time of life will have already learned about this.
It is a time with the mind flitting this way and that, not knowing quite how one ought to think, but knowing that much must be done.
Liz must be feeling very stressed today - tinged with a little relief that her adored father was not in distress at the end and the end was not too drawn out.
As if that wasn't enough stress for one person to bear, this is the week when her employment with the pensions company in Bangor comes to an end. The company is relocating and so Liz has been made redundant.
Now add to that the recent problems that have arisen with house buying. It was all going so smoothly for them!
Ashley and Liz have worked through the problems. They will be buying the bungalow having had £8,000 taken off their first offer.
They will move as soon as possible....but possible may mean a bit of a delay now.
They are ready for a fresh start.
They have each other and as the years go by they must be sure that others feel love and warmth towards them.

Today I have seen my GP - the one that I have completely accepted as being the best in the world!
I wanted his opinion and advice about the possible state of my bones.
He commented that, with my history and circumstances he would be very much surprised if my bones were not somewhat impaired.
He as added a calcium supplement to the vitamin D tablets I already have. I have been on calcium before - I know it is good for me, although how much is absorbed I don't know. It can create havoc with my digestion. We'll see. I shall be called for a bone scan at some point to see if osteoporosis or something has already taken a hold.
All I can say is that I am very fortunate to have a doctor I admire and trust.

I have done a fair few things on my things to do list - and that includes the disappearing ironing pile.

Bill has been tinkering with toy trains for much of the day. He bought a lot of model engines, coaches and bits last Saturday at Ford. At least, now, he can feel sure that he will make a profit. It is always worrying when you spend quite a bit on things.



One of the trains he tested was this little plastic one, probably made by Triang. I think it is charming.

Soon we will have a cuppa and a little supper. I stewed some apples today and it will be delicious with a little ice cream or sorbet.

And then my mind will ponder again on the great questions of the universe and I shall think of those I have loved who are gone. I hardly knew Liz's father - indeed he was a quiet introverted man and few people would have known him well. But it is daunting to think he is not now there, playing a part in my world.

Jamie has done his Phuket blog today - some of the pictures are the same as on the weather blog - but the ramblings are different!
http://networkedblogs.com/ejvQB