Sunday, September 05, 2010

 

Good things and good times

Up early - for the short drive to the Pease Pottage car boot sale.
We joined the early arrivals queueing at 7 o'clock.
I bought some old toys - a Merrythought dog, an old style Mickey Mouse glove puppet and a Dougal (from The Magic Roundabout).
I bought some interesting books and an early edition of the Radio Times.
This last is dated June 1939 and the radio programmes listed were the National Station and regional variations. The Home Service was introduced a couple of months later on the outbreak of war. The Light Programme didn't start until 1945.
During the week in question the King and Queen visited the USA and commentaries of their arrival in Washington and New York were scheduled.
So - some interesting buys under grey skies - and a few spatters of rain.
I also bought items of clothing.
Where do people get a rail of brand new Monsoon clothes from?
I bought a skirt and top much cheaper than they would have been sold in the shops.
And I bought books for me to read. I used to be an avid reader and books took me off to sleep almost every night. In the last many years my radio has taken over that job and I read very much less now. But when we are in Thailand my radio would not be of any use to me - I shall be reading in bed and maybe during the day for some quiet relaxing times.

When we got home I felt weary. I didn't do much that I intended to do.
I had no lunch ready to take to the athletics match - we bought some chips!
This, our last meeting of the summer, is a favourite of mine. Each Sussex club, who has participated in the Under 13s leagues, unites for one match.
I guess Crawley had home advantage - but they had already won the West Sussex league.
The youngsters triumphed again.
It is a great meeting, with so much enthusiasm and energy and a jolly parade of teams at the end.
I was chief timekeeper - and had a good team of people to help make the afternoon run smoothly.
There were 9 of us - could have been 10. I just got the team organised when Gerry arrived. Bless him, he could see the situation and opted, if I thought it permissable, to go back home for he had much to do.
I guess that being a chief timekeeper encourages the body to find an adrenalin supply.
I had energy - quite a bit of going up and down the steps to collect in the times.
I enjoyed reading the races - often being fairly sure of how many tenths of a second would be between the finishing athletes before times were returned.
And I was very happy to have two very reliable timekeepers to work with - Bill and David F.
So, it was a good afternoon.

I cooked a roast dinner when we got home.

I am beginning to yawn now though.
Oh - and once I start, I just cannot stop!
Perhaps time for a cuppa and an early night.

Labels: ,