Tuesday, August 31, 2010

 

Treats

What a lovely day - blue skies, fresh air and it felt warm.
We went to Dorking to collect our takings and put out some more stock - and to talk of course.
Bill and I continue to sell well - amazing.
One item I sold was a relief to me. Almost 2 years ago I had bought a pair of Wade candles - attractive and would have contained wax and wick. I assumed there would be much interest in them - I was wrong. I had paid £25 for them, thinking they were special. Recently I reduced the price drastically. They have gone this week for just £15 - a £10 loss; but better to have £15 back in my purse after all that time.
Another item sold was a Poole Pottery cruet set that I bought in from somebody just last Monday.
Strange to think that we have just one more day there now until the middle of October.

We then went to see Julie. Julie - French lady, who normally works with us on Mondays at the shop.
She has had a bad time recently after a fall, with a wound on the leg which became infected. It is not so painful now.
The district nurse is still going in every couple of days to re-dress the wound.
Injuries heal so much more slowly when one is old and the feeling is that Julie could be 85.
As I talked with her on the phone this morning I realised that she had not left the house since before the fall.
I wondered if we could take her somewhere.
Oh, she was so excited at the prospect.
We drove into Epsom town centre and parked in the big shopping mall.
We took her to lunch.
I enjoyed my lunch immensely - meatballs and Moroccan couscous. But I shouldn't have had the couscous - I have been so careful about no wheat for the last week. I have felt much better for it - not so tired and my gut was on the road to behaving better.
Never mind - it won't kill me and maybe the pleasure was worthwhile.
Then Julie said she would like to pop into Waitrose for some yoghurt. She bought a bit more than that - like a child in a sweet shop was just thrilled to have so many good things in front of her eyes.
We went back to her house - a wonderful traditional 1930s house with a lovely secluded garden. We sat on the terrace for a cup of tea.
It was very peaceful.
But not as peaceful as Julie thought. She even commented that there were no dogs, cats or birds, so no animal noises. Bill and I heard and saw quite a few birds.
Bill then sorted a TV problem for her. It didn't need much technical know how as it happened. The problem was that her TV was only getting BBC1.
Oh Julie - she was not handling the remote with enough dexterity and therefore not actually getting to the other channels.
But I promised not to tell you that - she didn't want the world and his wife to know how silly she was. Well, actually what she didn't want was her own family and friends in the shop to know.
And they don't read this blog - so that's OK.
Anyway, most of us older people have some hang ups and difficulties that might make the younger generation think we are old fogies.
I am glad we have given her what was a special day for her. And as I said to her - we like treating ourselves, and it was a pleasure to include her in our treat.
Julie was tired after all the activity. I certainly hope it won't have set her back physically and that the leg has stood up to some walking about.
So, a lovely day. I hope the sun keeps on shining.

PS - Remember that I commented yesterday about how well attended the athletics meeting was - and that there were over 40 hammer throwers.
Well, the hammer throwers also like to put the shot and throw the discus.
I gather the discus competition didn't finish until 8 o'clock!

Labels: