Wednesday, August 25, 2010

 

A celebration of culture.

Good grief - do birthdays have more hours in them than normal days?
I seem to have packed a good deal into the day.
It is now almost half past eleven - so I am not giving much attention right now to recording our doings.
We have admired and discussed the work of more than one 20th century artist - even been involved with art created within the 21st century.
Eric Ravilious was the star of course.
But we have also walked amongst iron men created by Anthony Gormley.
So - some culture.
There has also been eating and drinking.
Mid morning a drink and a shared flapjack at the art gallery.
Reminded me that I still think Darjeeling tea is the best.
Lunch was not what I really wanted - we went into one place that would have been ideal, but the wait for food to be served was about 40 minutes, so we moved on.
Afternoon tea was at the De La Warr Pavilion in Bexhill.
Fantastic building.
That is where the Gormley men were.
And we have bought art - I have some Ravilious - but not the finely produced prints. I couldn't justify £200.
And Bill bought 2 framed prints that were created first to be displayed in railway carriages. These were in a charity shop; the staff had been well advised, for they were not cheap - but I think probably have greater value than we paid for them. Ashley is friends with the man who wrote the definitive guide to collecting these pictures.
And it has rained - a lot.
It rained really hard at times.
Miserable weather - not what August should be at all.
I think people have told me that there was sunshine on this day 66 years ago.
This evening we have been with Bill's sister Julie and her husband Roger.
Lots of go0d conversation - and not just about ailments!
We 60 somethings do seem to have amassed ailments a plenty!
Tomorrow there will be photographs.
Good night.