Monday, August 16, 2010

 

Dorking Day.

It seemed quite leisurely in the shop today.
Just one small treasure of mine sold - to Chris (Mr No Short Term Memory). "You remember me don't you?"He didn't remember my name today - thought I was Monika.
So today I bought more than I sold. There was the usual procession of people, thinking they had items of value to sell. Honest - they were given good advice, each and every one of them and more than fair amounts for the things I bought.
Why did I buy more cheap carnival glass? It doesn't sell.
I also bought more Bunnykins china - that does sell slowly. But this lot won't make much profit towards the rent.
Bill bought some model cars - quite good ones actually.
So, it has been pleasant to chat and to admire each other's treasures - and to deal with customers.
We took about £300 today.
It could have been a lot more but the Chinese looking dealer needed to knock down the seller much more than was possible.
It was a large, restored old gramophone, with huge horn.
An identical one sold at Bonhams last year for over £1000 - so the asking price of £620 was quite reasonable.
The seller did agree that it could go for £500 - quite a reduction.
But Mr Chinese Dealer wouldn't pay a penny more than £450 and walked away without his superb gramophone.
The weather was lovely today - but I didn't get out of the shop all day.
Tomorrow we are threatened with lots more rain.
It will soon be time to doze in front of Who Do You Think You Are.