Sunday, August 29, 2010

 

Discovering items and family.

It was Sunday - up early of course.
We went to Pease Pottage - and I found things to buy; interesting things, which I enjoy having and will enjoy displaying in the shop and hopefully will bring some profit.
I spent a little while pondering on one item. We had got three or 4 aisles away when I knew I had to return to it.
I will photograph it tomorrow.
It is an Edwardian fire screen with stained glass, framed with brass. It is heavy.
I had already asked the price and was told £45.
On my return I asked again and still it was £45, at which I looked a bit doubtful, I guess.
"Make me an offer" said the seller.
I like that game!
I offered £35 - assuming that I would get dragged up to £40 and we would strike a bargain.
Instead the seller just accepted my £35.
I was so pleased to get it.
It needs a good clean. But almost everything else has been written up and sits in the garage waiting for its moment.

A little later we went to meet our nephew, Scott. It is really ages since we have seen him. He served in the navy for many years and ended his navy days in Plymouth. He met a Plymouth girl, a nurse, married and settled into a new job.
He and Vicky, his wife were in Crawley for the weekend with 2 month old Lottie - another great niece for us.
It was lovely to chat with them - such a very nice couple. It feels sad that Scott has grown to manhood without us really knowing him. But at least now, through the wonders of computer communicating we will feel a part of their world.
And Lottie?
Beautiful!
She is absolutely gorgeous and smiled and gurgled.


Scott - you are looking rather like Jamie these days.












Great Aunty P enjoys the role.
Lottie is one quarter Burmese and she inherits her beautiful colouring from her Burmese ancestors - but I can see Monk in her face as well.
This afternoon Bill watched the Grand Prix - well done Lewis Hamilton.
Later I sat down and watched another film - one I have seen a good deal of before...."Finding Neverland". It is a charming film (and sad) - and has the added bonus of Johnny Depp.
So, I sat there, peeling potatoes and doing veg for a roast dinner.
Tomorrow we will be timekeeping - no doubt I will have to be chief. It is a long meeting arranged by the Crawley club.
Of course we will be short of timekeepers - but at least we have the electric timekeeping system.
The first August bank holiday meeting we attended was in 1980.
Jamie was beaten by a speedy coloured lad of about 11 or 12 from Herne Hill Harriers.
Wonder what he is doing now.
So, our 30th anniversary tomorrow.

Labels: ,