Thursday, August 05, 2010

 

Brighton day out.

Lovely day - lots of photos.

But pictures are still in the camera; I haven't had time to sort them.
We have been to Brighton and there was no rain.
We parked close to St Bartholomew's Church - a High Anglican Church; it is about as Roman Catholic as it is possible to be and yet still be Protestant.
It is also very high in height

.

We have pictures taken inside. It is very beautiful.

We walked towards the Royal Pavilion and the Brighton Museum. We were waylaid by the fascinating little shops of the North Laines.
We promised ourselves some shopping on the way back.

If you live within easy reach of Brighton, then I can recommend the museum.
The first room was concerned with 20th century design and I loved it - this is my real area of interest as an antiques dealer. I gasped with pleasure at the beauty of many objects - far beyond my normal antiques shop stock.
But some objects were very like things I sell - and some were exactly like I sell - Midwinter, Hornsea and a Homemaker plate for example.
There were sections too on Ancient Egypt, Fashion, Entertainment, the body, Brighton history.
Bill and I must return.

On the way back to the car we stopped at a bead shop. We could have filled bags with beads at 2p and 3p, but Ecky had wisely decided that one or two of the bigger items to be worn as a pendant would suit her better and she was attracted by the Celtic designs.

We drove to St Ann's Well Gardens. In truth the gardens were not as good as the image I had built up in my imagination. But the cafe was very good. It was possible to have chips - vital for some of course. Ashley and I had toasted pitta bread filled with roasted vegetables, houmous and fried haloumi with a good side salad. Haloumi?......Yes, cheese! So far it has not affected me - but then it is not a cow's milk cheese and is not made in the same way as standard cheeses and is far less acid.
I liked it a lot - and Bill did too.
We shall be using it again.

The playground was not actually up to much and pigeons were everywhere. We bought some ice creams and walked round the gardens.

Once home there was time for a cup of tea and soon Bill and I were out again.
We were timekeeping for the Sussex Under 13s League.
It was a very lighthearted evening. I think Barbara and I were a bit like kids bunking off school and giggling - we had both deserted grandchildren to be at the meeting.

I will sort out pictures in the morning and do an extra blog posting about today.
Ecky will be busy playing with Emily and Gemma. And because we are not paying out to provide an indoor playground for them we will spend the money instead on taking them out to lunch. The plan is to go to Horley Wetherspoons and the girls can have a children's meal, which comes with an activity book, drink and bag of fruit.