Monday, June 14, 2010

 

Monday at the shop - and 10 days ago on Anglesey.

Monday evening - and I feel tired again.
The adrenalin released to carry me through a busy day at the shop has ebbed away and my body feels as fragile as my gut!
I did much of what I planned to do today - and dealt with customers of course.
And happily there were sales during the week.
Ah! My fabulous 1950s beach bag has gone. Nothing is mine for ever.
We will be back there tomorrow.
We could be a bit late, because Bill has an appointment with the consultant rheumatologist in the morning at 9 o'clock. Bill is just writing a list of things that may have altered or worsened, so that he doesn't forget to say what is needed.

Now I will let my mind return to Penmon Point on Anglesey.
I think it is a wonderful spot.


It was a beautiful, sunny day as we looked out at the lighthouse and Puffin Island.
But even on such a day the low chiming bell every 30 seconds from the lighthouse has a slightly eerie uneasy sound.
It warns of dangers.
There used to be puffins in abundance on the island, but no longer. Unfortunately some brown rats were able to get to the island some time in the 19th century.
Since a programme to exterminate the rats was begun in the last 20 years, the puffin numbers are increasing.


At very low tide it looks as though it could be possible to walk to the lighthouse - but I believe that not to be so.

It was quite low tide on our afternoon there, providing an opportunity to be marine biologists.
When I was Ecky's age - that was my ambition. We used to study the rock pools under the cliffs at Newhaven each summer.


Studying the little crab.
We also saw cormorants diving at the water's edge and Bill caught a glimpse of a seal.
Oh - and as we mention diving sea birds, I have been reliably informed that the tern we watched at Littlehampton was not a common tern, but a sandwich tern - much more rare and interesting.


I will share pictures of us here on the blog - which also convey the attractiveness of Penmon.



Ashley enjoyed being quite down by the water's edge.

On our way back we stopped about a mile along the road at the priory, the medieval base of St Seriol.


The dove cote is a fascinating building - providing roosts for hundreds of birds, which fed the monks and their workers.
There is still a functioning little church at Penmon, but much of the original priory is ruined.
Valerian grows every where at this time of year in North Wales - every wall seems to be topped with it.
It looks beautiful.
I thought of having some in our garden, but perhaps our little patch could not cope with a woody spreading plant.


Ruins and dove cote.
And back to Penmon Point for a web site picture, which has made Bill yearn for the good old days of black and white photography.
Already he has been converting the digital colour images to monochrome, to very good effect.
I wonder how much more I should say when using photos from web sites. I don't want to get into trouble.
The blog does get found - there was a comment on yesterday's blog from somebody who works for Lifeboat Tea.

Labels: ,