Tuesday, June 08, 2010

 

Dental advice and a look back to Pontcysyllte

For quite a few days now I shall be combining news of the day with a look back to last week.

And hopefully there will be days this week, when there is far too much to think about to spend time on last week's memories.
But today is quiet and routine and a time to pause and re-charge the batteries.

There has been a visit to the dentist.
I had a mouth ulcer - so I thought. It has persisted now for 2 weeks and is often very sore.
I guess it is an ulcer, but caused by damage to the gums and some slight infection getting in.
And how did I damage my gums? By brushing my teeth.
I began to brush mighty hard - one bottom tooth in particular has become a bit brown. I guess the gums receded to escape the onslaught and thus let in infection.
Now my instructions are to not use a toothbrush, but clean gently with a cloth and use mouth wash and/or warm salty water.
Since my days as a young mother all sorts of "useful" things have become available; apparently Mothercare now sell little things to fit over one's finger to use to clean baby's little teeth. Bill Clinton (yes, that is my dentist!) suggests a J cloth might be just as efficient.
It took very little time and I was £16.50 the poorer for the visit - but had a good feeling or re-assurance.
With my history, if something appears and doesn't go away it can start to ring alarm bells.
Get it checked out quickly Paula!

This was followed by an equally exciting trip to Asda.
Bread and milk were needed. Normally I don't consume either - but today I did buy 2 paninis and did toasted paninis at lunch time.

For the rest of the day we have pottered. Bill has been tidying in the garden. And both of us have enjoyed sorting photos taken last week in Wales.

The first episode of the Welsh trip is the unpronounceable Pontcysyllte
- try something like Pont-ker-suhlty; that double "ll" is a killer for the non Welsh!
Perhaps something a like a cat hissing describes it best.
It is the 1805 built beautiful aqueduct taking the Llangollen Canal over the River Dee.
History tells us that it was built by Thomas Telford and William Jessop. In fact it was built by hundreds or thousands of men and must have been a daunting experience for them.
Some perished in the process - the remainder must have looked back with pride at an amazing achievement.

But first we strolled by the canal and stopped to chat.
It seemed like one barge owner had a garden on the towpath.


In fact he had removed his garden from the roof of his barge the previous day because he feared a frost.
Before returning all the plants to the boat he decided to clean the roof.


And here is his cat.

We took the footpath under the aqueduct.
It is 300 metres to the other side. It would take the world record holder over 30 seconds to run from one side to the other!
And I would take 4 or 5 minutes at a good walking pace.


You can see how very precarious people crossing on a barge might feel as they look down with nothing between them and the drop.

It is a long way down - about 40 metres.


We stopped for a picnic - breakfast or lunch?
It was about 11 o'clock.
Look at me - looking so comfortable on the ground.
Sadly my brain seems unable to send the right messages to my body. Getting down and back up again are the most inelegant of sights and I need help to achieve it.
We took a walk across the aqueduct after our meal.


This is the view towards Llangollen from the aqueduct.


And this is an old postcard - just over 100 years old.
Soon it was time to continue on our journey to Bangor.
The advantage of choosing the slow A5 across North Wales are the spectacular views of Snowdonia.

Labels: