Monday, May 31, 2010

 

Struggling on and a walk on Hastings East Cliff.

Life has been good - but a bit of a struggle for me.
There is a bug lurking somewhere within me.
I feel very run down.
I was in bed last night before 10 o'clock and think it would be best to do the same today.
It just might be an allergy thing - eyes stinging, sore lips, sore throat, head ache. I will take an antihistamine.

We were up early and went to Epsom. We arrived at the boot sale at half past seven and it was already enormous.
It also felt really quite chilly.
What with feeling run down and cold and there being so much to look at, I think I felt a bit overwhelmed and found it difficult to buy.
One purchase that helped was a Marks and Spencers fleece jacket for 50p. It is excellent, though I am not sure that bright orange is my colour!
We seemed to buy a few items that were for our own use. I am very pleased with some Clarks sandals for £3.
After about 3 hours we had seen all that we could cope with. The trolley was full.
I think our last purchases were 2 bottles of Italian wine at £2 a bottle. I wonder what it tastes like!

We drove home via Dorking to do a few little jobs in the shop.
These few little jobs turned into a couple of hours of rearranging and leaving our areas tidy and full and interesting.
I took a few pictures to do a shop blog tomorrow - the main theme being hats and bags.

We had our lunch in Horley Wetherspoons. I love their new additions to the menu. Well, I only know about the sweet chilli noodles with breast of chicken, whereas Bill could give praise to the haddock and mozzarella fish cakes.

This afternoon we have sorted out some of the purchases.
Bill washed out an old tin which had contained Dettol - in fact it still contained this antiseptic liquid. It is not an ordinary tin, it is a gallon can!
Who would have bought Dettol by the gallon?
I still have books and 1950s Family Doctor magazines on the table to deal with. Also there are 3 1950s issues of Men Only!

Bill has got the projector out and is fiddling, trying to get a cine film he has bought working. It is Last of the Many about aeroplanes.
We can't tell you anything about it yet - he is struggling to get it loaded.
Ah - success - the film is about 10 minutes long and features many old aeroplanes, maybe filmed at an air show.

I started with the word "struggle" - and finished with it too.
I can't stop yawning - I am struggling to stay awake.

But I haven't finished....... I shall look back to our trip up (and down) the East Cliff railway at Hastings for a walk along the cliffs.








A view over the old town of Hastings.
The pier is in the distance - just note how far away it appears to be.



It was 2 days earlier when we had walked down there amongst the old houses, inns and shops.

There was a picture of this church on an earlier posting - All Saints Church at the end of All Saints Street.

Up on the cliffs.
It was lovely to see bluebells up there - a bit later than in the warmer valleys.

The name on the seat is Jean Kent - the name of a moderately successful film starlet.
I have been looking at web pages about her - but none have mentioned a connection with Hastings.
Looking towards Ecclesbourne Glen - a very popular destination for Edwardian families to walk to, when the East lift first opened.
One day we will walk down to the bay, but we didn't have time that day.
Beyond, Fairlight Glen is to be found.
We walked down this Glen many years ago, when the boys were quite young, with a little wonderment, for we knew that the beach was known as a nudist beach.
We met only clothed people!
Now think about why I suggested you note the distance of the pier from these cliffs.
I am very pleased with my photograph of a chaffinch and the pier, taken on the east cliffs.
And with the chaffinch singing merrily, I will say good night!

Labels: