Thursday, May 27, 2010

 

Brutal blood lady and Bill's birthday in Rye.

I wanted some fun today.
I can't say that this afternoon's trip to the hospital was much fun.
Short - but painful.
I had a blood test.
You know how it is, they say "Just a slight prick" and normally it is. Today I was hurt.
She said I would get a bruise and she was so right.
Never mind, I smiled and said "Thank You" - and I meant it. It is quite wonderful how well we are both being monitored.

This morning we went on the bus into town - might have walked, but it was raining. We still had not bought a present for the latest great nephew, who we will meet tomorrow.
We have 31 great nephews and nieces, with 2 more expected very soon.

We had a big Lidls shop after the trip to the hospital. Hadn't been there for some time.

Now back to Bill's birthday.
We went to Rye in the afternoon. Rye is known throughout the world and attracts many tourists.
It is fascinating and beautiful, with many narrow cobbled streets on the hillside above the River Rother and lined with very many old inns and houses.
The church is right at the top of the hill.


We are climbing up towards the most famous street of them all - Mermaid Street.

The Mermaid is a famous old inn. I quite fancied afternoon tea there - as a birthday treat.
But I think Bill fancied more the sort of place we are accustomed to.
A meal would have required a bank loan, maybe!



We walked through the inn to see the courtyard beyond.


This is looking back to Mermaid Street.
I was not the only one to see the potential of this view for a photo.


We stood behind, quietly chuckling.


We continued to climb, past the house where Henry James (the author) lived.


I loved these Rye tulips.
By the time we reached the church I was feeling just a bit rough - doing too much? eating too much?
Whatever it was I really didn't feel like the climb up the church tower.
So Bill had a birthday treat all to himself.
I sat in the church and waited.

Steep and narrow stair cases up to the top.
It was on these stairs that Bill met people that we know - members of the post card club.

Church bells.


Whilst Bill was up the tower, I did leave the church for a while and looked up to see if he could be seen.
I didn't see him.
But I did photograph the cherubs over the clock.


And Bill saw them from above.


The views over the flat lands to the sea were very good.
Rye had once been an important sea port until the land silted up and the sea shore become a couple of miles from the town.


The River Rother - the estuary is where the small harbour now is.
There are still lakes of trapped water within the Levels.
The Ypres Tower is below on the right.


Winchelsea is on the dark green hill across the flat land.


Ornamental defences below the Ypres Tower with the cannon facing out to sea along the river.
I am sure they were not always just ornamental.


The Ypres Tower.
After our walk we had a cup of tea and some cake in a tea shop.
I had to escape to "make myself comfortable".
When I returned to our table, Bill was surrounded by cloths and wet patches. He had knocked his coffee over.
We chuckled and apologised to the tea shop lady and explained that she would have to forgive him, for he had become an old man that very day!
We stayed for only about 2 hours in Rye. There is lots to return for - the same can be said of Winchelsea too.
Do you know we didn't set foot in any of the antiques shops to be found in Rye!
We decided to drive back to our barn and relax a while.
We had fresh eggs from that hen.

Once we found some energy we set off for Hastings for something to eat.

Labels: ,