Monday, May 17, 2010

 

Normality for most of us - some troubles.

When I wrote yesterday, I commented that the day had felt lifeless.
Not the fault of Sunday, I fear!
I think it was my poor body that was lifeless.
It certainly crumpled in the evening.
Deep sleep on the sofa from about half past seven. I couldn't even get myself awake properly when I realised that the results of the "Finding a Dorothy" programme was on TV.

I slept well all night.
And felt ready to face the day.
This was to be a day when Bill and I would deal with everything on our own. Monika was away today. Julie was there and she enjoyed conversation and laughs. She went out twice to do things - like have a cup of coffee with a friend.

This morning wasn't very busy.
I did some photographs for the shop blog - bakelite and plastic.
I sorted out my own area, reduced the prices on a few things and rejected a few others which I will see again next week in the window of the Hospice charity shop.

This afternoon was busier.
I am not sure which sale I enjoyed the most - 3 of my rather naff bird ornaments for £6 or the sale of 6 fine stemmed wine type glasses for £250 (for Gill).
Actually it was the latter. It was a real pleasure to look at the glasses, handle them, wrap them and hand them over.
The buyer is a dealer - so I wonder what he can get for them in a very smart London shop.

We keep an eye on the situation in Bangkok, of course. The situation is not good - and it could easily go over the top.
Jamie is so frustrated.
But in Phuket, the main news is that Jamie has a rain gauge on his shed!
He has taken over the daily recording of rainfall from a Dane who had been doing it for 10 years. It seems 1mm fell on his shed roof today.
Life in Phuket is completely normal - it is low season now. It is hard to tell if the lack of tourists is because of the troubles or the change in the season.
The troubles will affect people's desire to book for the next high season though.

I have computer troubles. For some reason tiscali are not delivering my emails.
That's OK I can send using gmail instead.
But it shouldn't be like that. Bill can send emails using tiscali, why suddenly can't I?
We seem to have spent the evening sending emails to each other, to Ashley, to my brother, to my cousin using both providers to see what will happen.
The only thing we know is that gmail gets through - and my tiscali doesn't.
Except that we know it has sometimes.
Can't be bothered to worry about it anymore this evening.


Time for a cuppa, watch the news and go to bed. Goodnight.
Happy 50th birthday to The Bluebell railway.