Monday, May 24, 2010

 

Music in PIlgrims and The Mill on the Hill.

The heat goes on!
People seemed to be avoiding the town centre of Dorking. The morning was very quiet.
Monika and I sat out in the back yard for a while.
There were quite a few sales around lunch time - including just a little one for me.
I took just two photos for the shop blog this week - but each took a while to set up. I prepared a table in the back yard to look like a picnic table - with loads of glasses and jugs and cake plates. I was inspired to do this when I saw a ceramic boater in Jo's area, which was in fact a cheese dish.
I'll do that blog tomorrow.

This afternoon we enjoyed a very pleasant interlude.
Mark came in, with his little daughter, Willow. Mark is a friend of Monika's - he is a professional musician. He does all the music for The Strange Face theatre company and their mask plays, which we have so enjoyed.
He has an accordion in the shop which Monika is trying to sell for him.
He decided to amuse Willow and the rest of us with some stirring accordion music.








And talking of music, we can now think about Paul McCartney. He has felt like a friend of mine for almost 50 years!
Last Wednesday we visited his windmill, on the hill above Icklesham; which is the village where our barn is situated.
Could this be the very hill where the fool is?


First we walked through the apple orchards.
I was soon to regret that cardigan! But we had not long before been walking in the thick, cold sea mist and dressed accordingly.
The cardigan was soon squashed inside my camera bag.


Pretty apple blossom.
One of my favourite perfumes from way back - all those 50 years that Paul has been a part of my life - is Apple Blossom by Helena Rubenstein.


The windmill stands proud above the orchards.
It was a wonderful time to be out walking - late afternoon, clear blue sky, clean fresh air, sunshine, rabbits scurrying everywhere. A splendid atmosphere.

The 1066 path passes the mill - and it also passes our barn.

Paul's mill. It is not open to visitors.


The view from the mill on the hill across Pett Levels to the sea.


Oast houses, with little witches on broomsticks.
In the evening we went to The Queen's Head - Icklesham's splendid village pub. It is about a quarter of a mile along the track from our barn.



Hats and hops.
I have had another splendid EBay sale today - which will result in some more money going to a charity.
I sold some old jet jewellery for Jenny for well over £100.
They say that we begin to lose the heat tomorrow. That will please some people. And indeed this sudden burst of heat has today been quite hard to work in for everybody I think.
And yet most people seem to be that bit more relaxed in the sunshine.

Labels: ,