Monday, June 07, 2010

 

A bit of a disaster

Today it has been back to normal.
Pilgrims Antiques Day.
Though it hasn't seemed like a very normal day really.

Last week there were problems in the shop.
The message on our answerphone talked of a disaster.....just what would we find?

What happened was bad and very annoying and a bother - but within the vast problems of all that goes on in the world, I don't think we should say "disaster".

The money that each person takes during the day is put in an envelope and at the end of the day is put in a locked safe until they can collect it.
The safe is behind a door which is always open - thus restricting access to the safe.
I think most of the people on duty only open the safe when there are no customers in the shop - don't need to publicise our routine.......except I am now of course!
On Thursday, sometime before mid afternoon, somebody gained access to the safe and removed all the envelopes.
To look on the positive side, thank goodness we had popped in on Bank Holiday Monday (when the shop was closed) and collected our takings for the previous week. So only 2 days of our envelopes were removed. Bill thinks his would have contained very little. I know that mine contained £65 - maybe more.
And that is a bone of contention - I am appalled that the shop does not keep a sales book so that we can track all the sales.
Nobody can tell just how many envelopes would have been in the safe or how much they contained.
I have never met such a sloppy system in any other shop I have been in. Some other dealers in the shop have some very flimsy reasons for not wanting amounts taken known amongst all the dealers.

And just in case any reader should adopt raiding the safe as a good ploy to boost funds (only joking friends and family!), let me tell you that the system has already been changed and is now very much more secure - providing each of us make sure it is all locked properly when we are on duty.
And I do wonder if some opportunist happened to find it open.
I have the very devil of a job to actually get it open with a key.

The day, for me, has felt much as other Mondays really. I absorbed some new stock onto my shelves - not anything bought on Anglesey yet.... no time for that so far.
I took photos for this week's shop blog.
My theme is good, but slightly off beat - will deal with that tomorrow.
And I will start putting photos of the Welsh trip on to this blog tomorrow.
This evening I have been through and deleted those I would never use - they didn't seem to be telling the story I would want them to tell.



And here is a picture of a happy smiling me - just to prove that life continues with great spirit after our mini disaster.
I bought that dress last Saturday at Benllech (Anglesey) for 50p. I knew it would look good with a pair of leggings - but was not aware of how wide I am!
All I see from above is a reasonably good pair of legs.

Right, time to turn on the TV and learn of the truly real disasters facing people round the world.

Labels: