Saturday, June 12, 2010

 

A sporting summer

Sport rules OK.......but England football does not!
And whoever thought that England would dominate? Not me.
I concede that they just could have won this evening, but for our goal keeper's fumbling, but it was a pathetic performance played out by a bunch of brainless men with over inflated egos.
Actually - I didn't watch all that much of it, but pottered at the computer with radio 5 Live Commentary on.
I will pop through to the TV in a moment to see what Gareth has to say - he is in S Africa for ITV.
New readers - Gareth is Gareth Southgate who was in one of my athletics teams when he was a teenager and later went on to play football for England.
Gareth for England manager say I! He has brains and manners.

But we were involved in a different sport all day and it was a very good meeting.
People who know me well will be surprised to learn that I worked with Gerry all day - and enjoyed it!
Maybe he has mellowed or I have learned how to tame him.
It was warm enough - though once the sun was behind the stand some felt really chilly and I put my jacket on.
I love this event - a chance for young people to show that they are good people and prepared to give their all.
There were some hard fought races and athletes in many events got qualifying standards for the All England Schools Championships.

I, of course, took my camera. I will take any opportunity to have fun with it.


I began by turning the camera around so that I could have a picture with me in it - a bit distorted really, it is true.


Apart from making sure each runner has an accurate finishing time, we are responsible for informing them (in longer races) of the time on a running watch at the end of each lap.
Bill is on his feet ready to go and call out times to athletes after one lap of the 800 metres, which the girls are lining up for at the start.


I do like to capture characters with my camera.
David is a character. He is not a fit man now - not sure of his age, but quite a bit older than I am.
He decided he needed more protection from the morning sun and I thought his use of his handkerchief added to the interest.
On the right, Bill is calling times.


One of the long jump pits is just below the timekeepers' stand and I attempted some photographs from up there - not the best spot.
It is hard to judge it right - some of the pictures showed the athletes as they landed.
But this one was quite good - both me and the jumper.
Katie achieved a new championship best performance - one that had stood since 1982, which must have been about our 1st Sussex Schools Champs.
There were several new records today.
Some records may never be beaten...... Steve Ovett holds the Intermediate Boys 800 metres - when he won in 1970!
Ten years later he was Olympic Gold medallist.
Who can say - there might be potential gold medalists we have seen today.

We were honoured with a brief visit from an ex timekeeper, Dave O.
Unfortunately (for him) we were all far too busy to pay him much attention.
Here he chats with Tony, one of the starters.


Another character - Reg Hook.
How old is he? I would have placed him as being close to elderly when we first started almost 30 years ago - but that was no doubt my mis conception, a failing of the young, seeing others as old.
He supplies photos to the Brighton evening paper and is a great stalwart in the world of Sussex athletics.

And here is the team.
You will note that I take a cushion with me. Gerry is looking jolly.
Bill is right at the back - almost obscured.
Next week we will be timekeeping once again - and next week, Bill and I will act together as the chief. It is an Inter Counties Match for today's winners.
We will get up early and go to a car boot sale tomorrow morning.
And tomorrow I will return to some Welsh memories and pictures.

Labels: