Sunday, June 27, 2010

 

Epsom and round the world and back in sport.

A lovely morning seems to be a long time ago - was it really today?
We left home at about quarter to seven and drove to Epsom.
Actually the sum total of our purchases left us to wonder why we bothered.
The sun shone and all was relaxed. I actually spent too much money on some Beswick ornaments and a 1950s book for storing records - 45s. The record book is very typically 50s and I assumed the records would be of a similar style. They may well date from that time - but it is packed full of Mantovani, Russ Conway etc and other very uncool performers.
Never mind - it will all work out.
I bought more clothing for Ecky.

Then we went into the centre of Epsom for a small breakfast in Wetherspoons.
It was lovely, sitting by the open window, watching the world go by.
We must have been in there an hour or so.
You will see when you get to the pictures one of the attractions of this Wetherspoons.

Once home, the TV went on.
First Bill was transported to Spain for a Grand Prix. ( I left the 'S' off Spain when I first typed it - do you think that was a sub conscious slip on my part?)
The Grand Prix was won by a German!

Then I was transported to the ironing board and to South Africa.
I thought maybe it was just me, when I wrote on facebook after 30 minutes that the Germans were showing us how to play football well.
But the TV pundits were extremely scathing too.

I have a theory. Sweeping generalisation coming up! In countries where rugby is played it attracts the more educated man. The yobs play soccer. Hence England, France and Italy have failed. In Germany there is no rugby. So people with brains in Germany play football.
The best manager in the world cannot give our team brains!
Now lets get behind Germany and keep the World Cup in Europe.
I loved the facebook banter about the match!

Sport continued - I was transported back to Birmingham for the UK athletics trials.
At least we beat Germany at athletics last weekend.
I wrote up some of my recent purchases whilst people ran, jumped and threw. I now have a box of things ready to take to the shop tomorrow.

And now I take you back to Epsom.
Wetherspoons is housed in the old assembly rooms.


This was the view as we ate breakfast.
The palm trees and blue skies could almost be the south of France.

Before we left I went up the stairs to the loo.
This was no ordinary visit to the loo.
I had to get my camera!


This was the sight that greeted me as I came through the door.
One could almost imagine characters from Jane Austen at leisure in this room




Looking through to the wash basins.


Look! Lovely Delft Ware wash basins.


There is a tall clock tower in Epsom - just along the road from The Assembly Rooms.
The clock tower has an interesting history. It was built in 1848.


I like clock towers.



Labels: