Tuesday, June 15, 2010

 

Dealers may be revolting - and Bill's beautiful Bodnant.

Bill had an appointment at the hospital at 9 o'clock - keeping watch on his rheumatoid arthritis.
There have been changes - but nothing that interferes with life too much.
It was suggested that he work a time for walking into life - not strolling at boot sales or with eyes on photo opportunities, but striding out a bit.
We all know that to be wise and just maybe we will both do something about it now - but not today.
But basically, Bill's instructions were to carry on as he has done for a few years now with medication and pain killers.

We were due in the shop again today. We had warned that we might be a little late and therefore didn't mind doing an about turn to check out a deer I saw by the war memorial by North Holmwood church.
Mother deer had moved further away by the time we were alongside again and she had her two little ones with her.
They stood and watched nervously as we peered through the car window at them.
As they were a bit behind a fence I failed to get a picture of the three of them.


And then suddenly mother could trust us no longer and off they scurried.

The shop has been a bit dull today.
Perhaps I prefer the company of Monika and Julie, but most of all I prefer for there to be more customers about - though Bill and I both sold.
The talking point of the day has been the electricity bill.
I am sure there must be some error - but Stephen blames those of us who have tried to keep the place warm with fan heaters during the winter.
But he really ought to double check this bill that he has paid - seemingly it is 4 times higher than he has come to expect for the winter 6 months.
I know he makes no money out of running the shop - he is no business man, but a willing, nice man.
Last week he suddenly had to find almost £2,000 for electricity.
He has now issued letters to us all asking for a contribution of £50 or the rents will have to go up.
Frankly I would rather pay an extra 10%, which within a year would give Stephen lots more money than the £50.
I sense that there will be a revolt - I can already hear both the plaintive moans and the strident indignations.
I feel that a 10% increase is fairer to the people who only rent one small cabinet.
And there is nothing to say the rents won't have to go up even after paying out an extra £50 each.
We chatted briefly with Jonathan at the end of the day - I sensed he feels he wants to go along with Stephen - he rents a lot of space, so I guess his extra 10% would be about £30 (at least) every month.
I hate conflict, but we all want what's best for the shop and therefore ourselves.

Now back to Wales.
On the Saturday we went to Bodnant, a wonderful National Trust garden.
I think it was the most perfect week to visit, with the gardens at their best.
There will be Bodnant pictures two days running, because Bill and I have our own stories to tell.
We separated at Bodnant, which gave Bill more opportunity to take his time and observe things in the way he wanted to.
I walked around with Ashley, Liz and Ecky and set them against the beautiful views and backgrounds.

Today you have some of Bill's photos.



The laburnum walk was truly magnificent.
Stunning - and we really saw it in its perfection.
There will be more laburnum pictures tomorrow; but on the whole I have attempted not to duplicate too much.


The azalias, too were mostly blooming at their best.

I now have a Bodnant blue iris in our own garden.


I loved these too - but Bill's picture is better.

Bill spent a lot of time on the terraces - wondering where the rest of us were, no doubt.
The terraces have large water features.
Bill is a dragon fly and damsel fly fan and was happy to capture images of them on the water lilies.





I love the simplicity of this shot.

And this one - I think they look better enlarged.


The house was once a family house - not sure about now. It is not open to the public.

Labels: , , ,