Tuesday, August 25, 2009

 

Thank you for my 65th birthday.

There are so many reasons to be thankful on this special day and so many people to thank.

I should begin at the beginning and thank my parents for giving me life. What a special evening that must have been for them, 65 years ago, as they snuggled up together in their cottage with their first born baby.

And from that moment I have so quickly, it seems, acquired 65 years of life behind me.
For all, but the first 18 years, Bill has been at my side through birthday highs and lows. I thank him for his love.

I am thankful for many memories of birthdays past - Anglesey for my 11th and Paris on my 15th. Many birthdays have been spent away from home - being blessed with a summer holidays birthday.
Once, in France, Bill completely forgot that it was my birthday!

I am thankful that on my 50th birthday I was able to be with Bill, Jamie and Ashley. We had a meal together at Tilgate Lake. There had been times in the preceding 3 years when it was thought I might not live to enjoy a 50th birthday. I am so thankful I have had the years to see my wonderful sons grow into family men themselves and to know my grandchildren.

And on that note I send thanks to all the medical people and supporters who carried me through the dark days. It is dramatic to think of people who have saved my life - but some truly did and others gave me the strength to continue the doctor's work and save myself. The more recent battle was less of a struggle for me - but yet again without medical science and skills I almost certainly would not have known this day.

And so to this years' birthday. I have been truly blessed.
I have received so many greetings - cards to display, some so beautifully hand crafted, along with the lovely collection of greetings that have arrived on my computer screen. Thanks to the PC Doctors who gave me back my computer so smoothly!
I have enjoyed some lovely little presents too. Thank you everybody.

Thank you to Roger and Sue who have shared this day with me. We have enjoyed a good day.
At lunchtime we picnicked and I tried, in vain, to light a candle on a cake - it was just too breezy. But Bill and Roger and Sue gave a rousing rendition of Happy Birthday. I was oblivious to any observers there might be.

Thank you to Chaloner Chute too. Who? You might ask. He was the first of the Chute family to own the Tudor mansion we visited today. He and his descendants created a home which a 20th century Chute bequeathed to the nation 50 years ago.

This evening Bill and I stopped at a pub in Loxwood for a celebration meal together and a stroll by The Wey and Arun canal. Thank you Bill.

Thank you to the world that, despite everything, is a wonderful place to experience.
I am so happy that I have enjoyed 65 years of experience and fully expect many more years - 30 more at least please!

Tomorrow I will have pictures of the day to share with you.