Tuesday, August 18, 2009

 

Feeling sick, the doctor and dead!

Has it been a good day?
I am not sure if I would know. I have felt so under the weather - and today, niggly with myself.
I have realised that whilst Ashley and Ekatarina were with us I relaxed my controlled diet.
I don't think I relaxed too much.... but of course I failed to get back to a sense of discipline when they left.
I know - you have heard it all before. You have heard "Never again!" before too.
I have been eating some bread; that's bad. What a shame that the lovely locally grown vine tomatoes that I bought too many of at the Ford boot sale are also bad.
For a while I must return to wheat free and very low potassium food.
I am sure I shall feel better soon - the dreadful weariness and depression will flee along with the digestive complaints.
I look forward to feeling better.
Bill has been to the doctor today about his swollen ankles - which actually had gone down a lot since he made the appointment. Nevertheless he was taken seriously and was told to arrange a quick appointment if the pulse rate should go up high again, for an ECG.

And on top of this my computer which was very sick indeed was pronounced dead.
Yes, the mother board had failed - and the graphics board and any other board that might be in there. Well, we were correct in our assumption that it was a hardware problem.
Cynical me wonders if the things sold by some companies (and PC World in particular), have a built in obsolescence, so that people have to buy new computers every couple of years.
The man who came today was pleasant - nerdy and friendly and not at all pompous. He is a member of the National Trust.
Well, that says it all doesn't it!
He was also prepared to admit that he doesn't know everything - for example he says he ought to be able to block all people on Skype, except one's own choice of contacts. But he has spent time looking at it and failed.... every now and then one gets called by somebody like Sexy Sam inviting you to view her anatomy!
Anyway - back to my dead machine.
A new computer was installed. I kept the keyboard and screen etc.
My old hard drive is now external - and it contains almost all my existing work and play.
Bill has taken on the role of installing things that had to be done. It will take a few days before everything is in place as before.
We are still not completely confident about the wireless radio link.
So it has not been a good day for the bank account.
But at least the work has been done and Bill has not been pushed into feeling too hassled - except by niggly me, perhaps.

Tomorrow, perhaps we can get on with work that was planned for today. Bill has photos to print for us and for Ekatarina. We promised we would make a diary for her, using her photos and ours. There just wasn't time whilst she was with us.
I have Sunday purchases to write up.

I have idled much of the day with the athletics on TV - another gold for GB today. But I did take a walk during the afternoon to post a parcel and buy some milk and bits.