Tuesday, August 11, 2009

 

The joy of friendship

Ekatarina could hardly wait for 2 o'clock to come - and with it the arrival of Florence.
And at the end of the afternoon she pronounced that it was the best day yet.
They entertained themselves - with toys, art work, High School Musical, running outside, Pokemon and talking all the time - and laughing and being happy.
I didn't have to organise very much for them - just some paper and glue at one point.
And food!
It was like a party for 2 with crisps, ice cream and chocolate.
I could have photographed so much - but only took a few when they were static doing some art work at the dining room table.
But I wish I had my camera as we walked back to Florence's house.
They hopped and skipped, hand in hand - the best of friends. There have been promises to keep in touch, which will be hard.
But Ekatarina has learned the joy of friendship.
For some of this afternoon Bill, Ashley and I sat in the front garden with our cups of tea.
The birds seemed not the least afraid of us as they chattered and fed on the fat balls and nuts.
I felt privileged to sit perhaps 5 feet away from a family of long tailed tits - just young babies some of them.
That was a good moment.
Now I feel less good - just oh so tired.
It is clear that women in their 60s are not designed for full time parenthood, however much of a pleasure parenthood can be.
So, good night.
Sadly Ashley and Ekatarina leave us tomorrow morning.
Enjoy my few snaps of Ekatarina and Florence.