Monday, August 10, 2009

 

Brisk business for some and playing for others.

I guess I should tell you 2 versions of the day - but it will all be fairly brief.

The day for Bill and me involved the shop.
It has been very busy. It took me almost all day to right up the 23 Beatrix Potter books.
We had so many customers and weird and wonderful requests.
There were 2 ladies looking for coffee spoons - OK I could cope with that; and I knew what sugar tongs were...... but sugar spoons? Surely you just use one of your teaspoons from the cutlery drawer!
But, as ever, everybody was very nice.
We were not completely sure of the lad who came in with items for us to buy. Where did he get the stuff? I am ashamed to be suspicious really because all he confessed to was that he couldn't read and write - this was when I asked him if it might be worthwhile selling on EBay. There are still too many poor readers, but it is unusual to have no skills - what sort of backgrounds is he from?
Anyway we didn't want to buy his stuff.
There were Australians, French people and a couple en route between France and their home in Tipperary.
All were buying.
The most unusual encounter was with the 3 women from Dubai, all in long black robes and 2 with gold appendages to restrict our vision of eyes etc. There was a British driver with them to carry their purchases to the car.
They were buying quite a bit - and unfortunately breaking some things too. Long black robes are hard to manoeuvre through restricted spaces.
They paid for the breakage.
I was wrapping as quickly as possible, for I felt that they wanted it all done in double quick time.

Bill and I were the only workers today. Monika was away and Julie, well - Mondays are a few hours out being sociable for Julie. She does very little.

Bill and I sold today.

Ashley and Ekatarina have also been out.
They got the bus to Gatwick - simply to ride on the driverless train between terminals.
Then they went to Horsham.
Ecky played in the park.
Then they went to MacDonalds - Ashley had vouchers for meals. Magnificent, thought Ecky - a children's indoor play area upstairs.
She played with a little girl, from Crawley, named Poppy.
Then they went to the museum - stopping at another play area on the way.
Ecky found an amethyst bracelet at the museum a couple of years ago, which has now broken. She wanted to replace it. But there were none there today.
They visited all the charity shops - and bought nothing. Why do the charity shops have so little that is interesting these days?
And then they went back to Gatwick for another ride on that train.
And then caught the bus home.
I think they got back in just before the rain started.

This evening has been gentle - High School Musical 3 is on for much of the time.
I was so tired tonight that Ecky read to me - all about the Tudor Kings and Queens.

It is the last day with A & E tomorrow. And Ecky is excited because Florence is coming round to play.