Friday, August 21, 2009

 

Routine - and another's computer problems.

Almost routine!
I wish I could say that computers have not been a cause for concern - but they have.
But - not ours.
This afternoon Ashley rang with a tale of woe about his machine.
Very strange. It was bought from the same place that we bought our troublesome one and at nearly the same time about 2 years ago.
Ashley described symptoms like this one showed - so we have suggested mother board, graphics board etc problems.
Now I do believe that some manufacturers build in a certain amount of working life into their computers.
And Ashley will have to do what we have done - replace the workings.
Tomorrow he may head for PC World - regretfully I guess, but it might be the only source of an easy solution for him. Though Bill has contacted a little company in Bangor High Street who might be able to help - and it is certainly closer.
Ashley, like me, uses the computer to sell on EBay.
He is one stage behind me this summer.
Today I have sold 8 items that had been relisted and were being their last chance. The failures might try their luck in Pilgrims - or may get sent straight to a charity shop.
There are no more things waiting to be re-listed.
I was about to make the fresh start with describing at least 6 items to be listed.
But Ashley was wanting to get his re lists onto EBay so that he could give them their last chance.
I offered to do it for him.
But Ashley doesn't do things by halves.
There were 281 items to be dealt with.
So my fresh start can wait.

This evening my body doesn't feel like making a fresh start. It feels like going to bed. I fell quite deeply asleep as athletes performed on the track in Berlin.

This morning Frieda was round for a while.
It is always so easy to challenge Frieda and offer her new ideas or experiences.
I am not sure how the subject of what to spread on bread came up.
I was so amazed that she claimed never to have tasted Marmite, that I immediately sliced a little bread and put some butter on and thinly spread Marmite for her to sample. I sliced some cucumber - just in case she didn't like it.
They do say you either love it or hate it.
Well, she loved it.
So we continued and tried her on meat paste - it needed using up anyway.
Everybody had fish or meat paste sandwiches when I was a child - surely she did too.
"Ooh I say" she exclaimed "there are so many different things to put on bread - I always have jam". Bet she has the same jam every time too!
I hope she follows this up by buying a small jar of Marmite. Jamie has suggested she try Twiglets - I'll get her a small packet.

So that has been my day.
The England cricketers had a much more lively day. The press had been ready to write them off as not being good enough on the first day of The Test. Well, on this second day they showed that the Australians were less good - very much less good.
It could happen - we could regain The Ashes.

Time for a quick drink and then to bed.
Of course we will get up early and go off hunting - firstly just to Faygate, we think.