Thursday, August 20, 2009

 

What can I trust?

I am not sure what I can trust this evening.
Can I trust the computer?
Finally all seems to be well.
The most recent problem - when Bill attempted to connect the two computers by cable was, in fact, easily solved.
The shop had sold Bill the wrong cable.
Now, that's not fair because he deliberately chose the small company tucked behind PC World; he has used it before and the man running it seemed to be reliable.
But this time his mistake was the last straw.
But just now if anything seems a bit slow I start to think "oh no".

And today I have not been able to trust the "wee" bag. Last time I had a spell of problems I could work out the reason. I am not sure this time.

Damn it the "wee" bag almost made me miss the 200 metres final at the World Championships.
Thank goodness for the little old TV in the bedroom.
The Jamaican did it again - the world record again. Usain Bolt was just born with a body that makes him fast, very fast.
Yesterday we saw somebody else born with a body that made them a gold winning very fast 800 metre runner.
She is an 18 year old South African.
And she has been subjected to worldwide scrutiny concerning her gender.
I am very happy with the way the BBC team of commentators have dealt with this matter. They have been measured and wise. Steve Cram pointed out that nobody is 100% male or female and we all fit somewhere along a scale. We have too many stereotypes foisted upon us of what a person ought to look like.
I can look back to a Czech runner, Kratochvilova. She was powerful and looked quite masculine and was fast. Being an Eastern European at that time then maybe she was pumped up with hormones or drugs - but she was a woman. And when she retired from the sport, she went on to become a mother.

I have been reading during these last days. At the Edenbridge car boot sale there was a box of books, 25p each or 3 for 50p. My final choice, the free book if you like, was the book written by Gloria Hunniford about her daughter who had died of breast cancer.
This has raised feelings within me that I don't trust.
I see too many mirror images of how Caron, the daughter, reacted and dealt with the cancer fight - including a bit of a breakdown and analysing every relationship around her and searching for reasons and clutching at straws.
But we all got through it and I have come out the other side wiser and with a modicum of self belief.
Caron didn't get that chance.

Bill has also fitted in some other things besides doing things with the computer and fretting about them.
He has scanned a box load of books for me to describe for EBay.
He has started to prepare Ekatarina's pictures for her diary album.

And he has enjoyed creating a character for the papier mache pig that Ecky and I made at Godstone Farm with Jo and Florence.
Ekatarina is a Pokemon fan - and we found one of the characters as a soft toy at a boot sale. That was Pikachu.

And now may I introduce you to "Pigachu"......