Saturday, August 22, 2009

 

Saturday activities

This has been a good day of work...... working at our hobbies, you understand; though it is to be hoped that there might be some profit in it for Bill and me.
We drove the short distance to the car boot sale at Faygate at about quarter past seven.
I don't think we bought a great deal of interest - though I do have a Clarice Cliffe meat plate.
Most people know that she is one of the most sought after names in the world of china and porcelain of the 20th century. Some of her work epitomises the art deco period. My meat plate does not - the design is a bit boring - but that shouldn't stop the buyers who yearn for the well known name; well, I hope so.

We got back and chatted a while with Abdel - a neighbour. He is such a nice man with a lovely family. He has only just heard about the proposed medical centre to be built and was appalled at the loss of green space and trees.
He gave us 2 figs from his tree which we enjoyed with our breakfast.

I had time this morning to describe 6 items for EBay. They are listed now and so my fresh start begins. I have so much that I want to sell on EBay during this winter.

Later Bill and I - and my shopping trolley set off for Edenbridge.
The trolley is such an asset and saves aching arms - but today it was also a bit of a liability. The Edenbridge boot sale is in a different field. It is truly a farm field - clearly having been used by cows during the previous weeks and it was so rough and rutted that the trolley was hard to steer.
But it soon became full - Bill even had to manoevre it back to the car so that we could start again.
We have found some interesting things - yet more for EBay and some for the shop.
I picked up a Muffin the Mule tin, a book describing all the episodes of The Avengers and another about The Prisoner and a cloth badge of Starsky and Hutch and paid £5 for these items - I was expecting to have to pay much more. The most popular TV programmes continue to attract interest and collectors.
From the same stall Bill bought a large clockwork stage coach, which works well and has had us chuckling this evening.
He also has a boxed Trigger - the horse, that is, as ridden by Roy Rogers. The box is a nice display item and includes a video of a Roy Rogers film.
I bought some old recipe books. Now how come I found this one in a field in south east England today? It is Round the World with a Recipe Book, published by the Bengal Girl Guide Association in 1940.
We bumped into Kate at that stall - a colleague in the Rocking Horse days. She was friendly of course - but spoke a bit huffily when she spied the books I had...." I see you have found some books" she commented enviously.
We were very happy with what we had found.
We also bought Kent Victoria plums.
It seems that local growers might have to let fruit rot on the trees because the big supermarkets would rather buy their fruit from foreign climes.
Well, we will help by eating some of the local fruit - even if it upsets my digestion.
We also bought a pot of Victoria plum jam.
And so home to start to write up the stuff. I haven't finished - I spent lots of time chatting instead. I talked for a while with Ekatarina and then later Ashley and I talked for a long time.
Ashley has ordered another computer which will be delivered during next week.
The athletics was on the TV at the same time - with the sound turned down.
It has been a good world championships - just athletes from all round the world competing to their best and sharing together in a big occasion. Politics and race have kept out of it, thank goodness. Though these issues were recalled today as Jesse Owen's grand daughter presented the gold medal to the winning long jumper in memory of her grandfather's achievements in the same stadium at the 1936 Olympics. Hitler's politics were humiliated briefly by the lanky black man on that occasion.
Now we must make yet another cuppa and prepare for bed and plan our activities for tomorrow.
Yes, another car boot sale - but which one?
Goodnight.