Saturday, July 25, 2009

 

Trying to turn the tide

I did things today that did me good - and the sun did right by me, by shining well.
We left home before 7 o'clock for the lovely familiar ride down to Ford.
I never tire of coming over the hill and seeing the River Arun in the valley and Arundel castle on the hill beyond.
I was determined to find stock today - finding things on a hunting expedition is what it is all about. It always feels so pointless to arrive home with very little to show for the trip.
My first success was a pile of 14 books - a trip back to the car was needed of course. Couldn't carry that lot around for long.
The rest of my buys are on the table in the lounge, as yet not written up; but I have done the books.

We opted then for a breakfast in Littlehampton.
It is a friendly place to be.
The Balaton attracts local boatman and fishermen - I am not the only one who can walk in and just ask for "my usual, please".
Glad there were no disasters at sea - for a lifeboat crew were in there enjoying breakfast too.
We strolled back along the river and beach, chatting with fathers and children fishing for crabs as the tide was speeding up the river. I laughed with one of the dads who was asked by a woman with her small son about the fishing.... "What are you doing it for?" she wanted to know. We shrugged our shoulders... "Fun" I suggested.
There were 13 coaches in our car park - and from each poured bands of happy lively black folk. They set up all sorts of games, tents and music on the green. But they were not all connected as we assumed. We talked to a few who were with their church, having a day out in Littlehampton. The presence of so many people, young and old, determined to enjoy a day at the seaside enlivened the atmosphere, which usually feels a bit run down in an attractive sort of way.

We have taken pictures today of course - so stay tuned; there will be a photo montage of Littlehampton 25th July 2009 on the blog at some point.

Once home there was a lot of wrapping to do - books sold from yesterday and today. There were invoices to send and payments to deal with.
I have watched as much athletics on TV as I had the time for and of course the climb up Mont Vantoux in Le Tour de France.The race finishes tomorrow - but really this was the last day of racing. It is an unwritten rule that the final placings will not alter on the last day. It is like the last day of term - a party atmosphere.

I am not sure what we will do in the morning.