Sunday, July 19, 2009

 

What happened to the idea of a summer sunday?

What day is it?
I normally have a very strong awareness of what day of the week it is. I feel it so much, that anniversaries, for me, often are experienced more on the right day of the week rather than the right date.
It is not just the regular activities, I think I feel an atmosphere about a day.

It must have been Sunday because we went to the Pease Pottage car boot sale, but this hardly impregnated my conscious thoughts.
The weather forecast was not good and that kept the number of stall holders quite low. It felt really cold in that field too, as grey clouds scudded across the sky in the strong wind.
Once again we didn't buy very much.
If it hadn't been for the man who has a lot of Bunnykins china my total outgoings would have been 20p!
I have never been a big fan of Bunnykins, though it is charming. But I did buy some stuff from him about a year ago and it has all sold in Pilgrims. He claims to have been a collector.
I bought jugs today - three 1 pint jugs and 6 little cream or milk jugs - they are all different.
And I bought an infant's feeding dish with a Christmas Bunnykins scene.

We were home by 9 o'clock.

Writing things up in my stock file seems to have taken an age today - I was watching golf at the same time.
It is all done and I have a box full ready to take to the shop tomorrow. I hope there are spaces on the shelves.

Bill has been busy describing photographic equipment for EBay - this includes the camera he failed to take to Thailand. Obviously the one he bought is preferred and he doesn't need two similar good cameras.

I have contented myself with watching other people making their mark today.
It has just been that sort of day.

The Open Golf didn't end up as I would have wanted - the winner was neither a Brit or Tom Watson. Tom Watson so nearly made it - and he would have been the oldest ever winner and somehow his age should have made winning an impossibility. Do you know he is as old as 59? So, not so very old then!
The cycling did end up more as I would have wanted today. The race ended with a 7 Km climb up the Alps. It feels now that the right man is in the yellow jersey - a Spaniard. And there is a Brit in 3rd place and Bradley Wiggins is going really well.
The cricket should end up going as we would want - unless it rains lots; but there are 2 obstinate Australians doing their best to spoil the party.

The weather here has made it feel like a non day. It hasn't rained too much but it is just so non summery.