Monday, July 13, 2009

 

Dorking Monday and Market Lavington Saturday

We have been busy in the shop today.
Of course we prefer it that way – we can all relax, knowing that we are doing some things right and it is fun to be dealing with lots of people.
One of my first dealings was to part with money – a woman brought in some bits and pieces. I have always found it hard to respond to these visits with “Go away – your things are rubbish!”
I did like her old books – but the most attractive children’s book is falling to pieces and will have to be pulled apart and some pages framed.
I also bought some silver – well, silver plate. I had no idea what I was buying.
And there are other odds and ends which interested me. I did tell her to take her china away.
Monika – who never has any spare money didn’t buy any of it and told me she thought I had given rather a lot. But that’s the way of things when you have the person in front of you, eagerly believing that her treasures will make a fortune; and £45 is not a fortune.
Later I wondered if Monika regretted opting out.
One of the silver plate items was a pair of grape shears – heavens, I had no idea of their purpose. We saw that Jonathan had a similar item in his cabinet for £29.
Bill and I also sold today – a sweet little Rosebud doll that I have had for ages is off to a new home today, along with a couple of other items.
At one point we were all dealing with different customers – the place is really buzzing when that happens.
And Stephen now has the juke box working – we play records and invite customers to do the same.
The sun has shone and life has felt good.


The weather was less kind on Saturday.
We were with Roger and Sue in Market Lavington and we ventured out for a walk into the village - taking the familiar route into the churchyard and into the museum.
It was a grey day and by the time we started for home there was heavy drizzle.




Roger is the curator of the museum and with Sue does a great deal of work - and a group of other dedicated village people too of course.
They are in and out sorting queries all the time and often are on duty when the museum is open.
I think having a museum is a bit like having collections at home or even being in an antiques centre. There are lots of interesting things and a happy community of people to work with.
But at least the museum people know they are making something permanent for the village - and everything must have a connection with Market Lavington.


I can eye up the kitchen section with a feeling of kinship - and wish I could find more of a similar kind to delight the good folks of the Dorking area.


There had once been a clothes shop in the village - not so very long ago. But things that go should be recorded.
The mannequin is an original from the shop. The skirt was bought from the shop - Sue knows, for she bought it.
Sue dressed it up with very suitable hat scarf and jumper that she, a Market Lavington resident had knitted.
Did you buy the wool in Lavington House, Sue?


War time memories.




These 2 butterfly pictures were taken the next day.
The sun was shining - hooray!
Bill spotted the painted ladies fluttering and settling on the lavender, so he made a quick dash from the Sunday roast to capture some images.
I am not sure which came first on the Saturday evening - the halfpennies or the crowns.
But at one point Sue got out her coin collection.
Many of us have such collections tucked away - a motley collection that we always thought we might one day take seriously.
My own similar collection is of British stamps.

Here is an 1818 Crown from the reign of George III, Some internet research suggests it might be worth about $950.

But the fun was with the halfpennies - or ha'pennies as we old folk call them.


This is not a really complimentary picture of me - but I saw the determination on my face and saw the face of my Granny.


This little picture, taken from Roger's email shows me looking jolly.



Roger also looks jolly.



Bill concentrates - his first ha'penny has gone plumb in the middle of the bed. There must be no disturbing it!



By Jove! I think he's got another one!



Sue is going for the hard bed - the furthest on the board and we often over shoot.
For the record - the Frosts beat the Monks by one.
Tomorrow I will get pictures from Cirencester onto the blog - a little of the town and lots of Matt and the family.
I am not sure what tomorrow will be for us - Bill has a doctor's appointment in the morning.