Tuesday, July 21, 2009

 

Flopping about through Tuesday.

There is some good news, for a change, on health matters.
Not my health though.
I have talked with Alberto the vet about George.
Thyroid levels have come down a lot and so there will be no awkward decisions about future actions. We can halve the dose of the medication and take him for a blood test in 6 months.
That is the "royal we" who will halve the medication - for it is Bill that administers the tablets; just as, at the moment, it is Bill who does most things round here. I just flop about.
I haven't felt too bad really - though this evening there are a few problems.
I haven't left the house today.
This morning I wrote a letter to the local paper about the new medical centre - putting right some errors in a piece they put in last week and hopefully just to stir things up a bit. I don't expect anything to be changed now of course. But it doesn't seem right when one of the staff at the existing surgery has let it be known that the doctors and staff don't want their new centre at this site. They don't think it is best for their patients to have to make a longer journey to a place with no bus stop and local facilities.
During the day I have described the remaining 11 items in my July box. I will list them on EBay tomorrow afternoon.
I did boil a load of vegetables to death to put in a casserole with Swedish meatballs (from Ikea, which have been in the freezer for a while).
With a little topping up and perhaps an interesting sauce there is enough for tomorrow.
We were expecting to see workmen this morning. There is a leak from the pipes under the man hole cover in the pavement just outside our gate. Bill first phoned about this 11 days ago. When he phoned last Friday he was told the work was scheduled for today - but nothing happened, except the water continued to stream down to the drain in the lay by. It is becoming more awkward now for pedestrians and anybody coming to our front door gets wet shoes - or they can cross Frieda's grass instead.
Of course the grass is wet anyway - because there has been rain.
We went to see Frieda this afternoon - it is her 88th birthday.
Now what do you give to an 88 year old with limited interests? I doubt that many would give her framed photographs of a favourite film star of long ago. Goodness - one of the pictures shows Clint Walker bare chested!
She really was excited and happy with our gifts. It added to the pleasure she had had being taken, as requested by her, to MacDonalds for lunch.
I am yawning and floppy tonight, needing to breathe deeply and just a bit nauseous. To bed soon I think.
Originally we had plans to go to the Ardingly antiques fair tomorrow. But I don't have to make a decision about whether this would be wise because Bill has a dental appointment mid morning.
I hope we can get to the next one though, in September.
And this evening we have been in the company of the other Alberto (the first is the vet) in our lives just now - Contador that is, leader of Le Tour de France. But I did feel that Lance Armstrong showed his grit and determination during today's very scary stage - 2 major climbs up hairpin bend after hairpin bend and a hazardous descent down.
But Wiggins the gawky Brit is our man! He could be standing on the podium on Sunday - the first Brit to ever do so.