Sunday, July 26, 2009

 

Triumphs for some in Paris and failure for Bill in Monkland.

I am sitting here at the computer as if there was nothing wrong.
But Bill has toiled all day to solve computer problems and failed.
He doesn't like having to realise that there are technical jobs that he can't fix..
We do have one working computer that will connect to the internet and do all the other hundred and one things that need broadband. He opted to make it "my" computer that will function.
Thank you Bill.

Poor Bill has tried various ways of sorting the lack of wireless contact between the two - or three (counting the laptop) computers.
It just suddenly stopped working. It was there before dinner on Friday evening and then wasn't there after we had eaten.
So, Bill decided that there must be a fault on the wireless thingy that we have used for a long time and we went to buy another.
But that has failed too.
Now he wonders if there is a setting or property within one of the computers that has somehow altered. Why? How?

We didn't have all this problem with the washing machine. It failed, we bought another, Bill plumbed it in and switched it on and hey presto - within a very short time there was washing blowing on the line.

I have seen Bill slowly feel more and more exasperated so when he uttered something about maybe getting somebody in to sort it, I happily accepted this.
I hope Bill can relax now and not feel anxious about his inability to cure the problem.
I certainly wouldn't be able to do anything constructive - I have never bothered my little mind with just what modems, routers etc actually do.


This morning we went to the boot sale in Reigate. It always seems that it will be a dead loss when we arrive - but gradually more cars arrive and I have found some interesting things.
There is one little ornament that I paid £30 for. I don't really know very much about them - but assumed I can make a profit.
This little Hummel could be worth over £100.

I know, hard to believe something which actually looks so naff could be so valuable!
Once collectors are hooked into a range of things then some are prepared to high prices to add to their collection.
Bill now has a collection of cuckoo clocks. The one he bought this morning was not expensive and is grander than others we have. But it does need some attention.
I have written up all the weekend's purchases during the day.
And it was actually me that saw most of the Hungarian Grand Prix - Bill was tied up with the computer.
And this was followed by the last stage of Le Tour de France - the ride into Paris.
Two Brits have done better than Brits before them - Cav or Wiggy (to use their nicknames) - who was the best?
And following this day of sport is a strange day - no sport for me on the TV. This day comes every year - Wimbledon tennis has long gone, the Open golf is over, Le Tour is finished and there is a pause before anything else.
Of course the cricket starts again on Thursday and during August there will be the World Athletics Championships. I don't think my sad little mind will be without sport for long.
I am very tired this evening. And tiredness increases any underlying feelings of depression. And it is raining again.
I shall get to bed early - hope for a dream free night and get up early to prepare for the shop.
Little Chick Girl can come with me!
Goodnight.