Saturday, May 09, 2009

 
About 23 hours after I last wrote we walked into Jamie's house.

The journey had been as easy really as it could be.

EVA Airways looked after us well. They didn't have to do anything extra because there were no wee accidents, thank goodness.

Both Bill and I enjoyed the creens in the back of the seat in front with a variety of options to watch. Mostly we played around with an interactive google earth sort of thing which was both map and a chance to plot our own journey - so many towns down below, that would mean so much to their inhabitants, but we had never heard of. I promised myself I would at least learn the names of the capitals of all those ex USSR states ending in "stan". But of course I don't remember them now.

But I have jumped too far ahead.... a potential disaster was spotted on the Number 10 bus to Gatwick. Bill realised he had failed to pick his camera up from the work top in the kitchen. I had an initial niggle "Why, oh why had he not already put it in his hand luggage?" But I knew that a holiday without a camera was not really an option for Bill. So first suggested he would be able to borrow one from Jamie and then suggested he buy a small back up camera.

But small and back up didn't seem to fit the description of what Bill chose to look at.

He bought a Panasonic one which takes interchangeable lenses before we left Heathrow.

So a disaster was turned into an early birthday present for him.

We tried to sleep on the plane through the night - I envied those who succeeded.

My sleep was marred by cramp - lots of cramp, both feet and all up my legs. How fortunate we were that we had lots of space for me to massage my limbs. We had 2 seats in the middle section of the plane and the 2 seats in the central band remained empty.

The attacks of cramp continued long after the flight - our first night in Thailand was spoiled by it all. I have come to the conclusion that it might have been made worse by the medical, pressure long socks I opted to wear. They did what I hoped for in that I have not arrived with swollen ankles, but I think they exerted too much pressure on my toes and muscles.

We arrived in Bangkok and strolled around the new airport for a while. Bill had not see it before. I say strolled that was after the long route march to get from the incoming plane to the point where we checked for the plane to Phuket.

Checking in seemed awkward - we got the new boy. After a while I said to Bill that I saw some worried looks of doubt on the lad's face. "I can't find your reservation" he said. With some help from a girl and Bill showing him a copy of their own web site with our names on it, he persevered. Help - I thought, our luggage will arrive in Phuket - and we won't!

Eventually we had our boarding cards and felt secure.

The flight down to Phuket is just over an hour and we were glad that all imigration details, including filling forms about swine flu were dodn in Bangkok.

At Phuket we waited for our luggage, with fingers crossed, and then were very quickly through to be greeted by Jamie, Mam, Jessica and John. What a surprise for the children - they had not been told that we were coming! So lots of hugs and kisses. Jessica and John took our hand luggage cases on wheels and strutted around proudly.

It had been raining hard, but the storm had passed over.

We pottered and talked, feeling exhausted for a while. Mam went out to Tescos and called in at a roadside cafe with some fried rice for us.

And so to bed - to deal with multiple cramp and a major thunderstorm.

We were woken this morning by the loud plaintiff mewing of a cat adopted by the family, or maybe the cat adopted them. Pussy now gets fed outside the front door. It is thought that pussy might be expecting kittens now - I wonder who gets to deal with them!

By the time we got organised it was quite late.

The children were ready for lunch, We went into Phuket City for a good snack/meal.

I had noodles (rice noodles) with vegetables and crab - very tasty and iced lemon tea to drink.
Excellent meal for one pound twenty five.

We had a little list of items that we need to buy and although Tescos was very crowded on this Saturday afternoon we descided to get it all done and then chill out until Jamie finishes work.
But we got nothing done becaues I noticed a wee problem; fortunately I noticed before it affected my skirt.
So it was home again home again to deal with things.
So now we are chilling out now - and Tescos can be visited again a bit later, when it might be less crowded and cooler. Tescos is cool inside because there is good air con.

I am not sure what we will do this evening. Jamie has mentioned a new place he visited with a friend which does drinks, food and entertainment. There could be a magic show which enthralls Jessica.

Tomorow is Jamie's day off and I don't know what is planned.

We will back off early on Monday when school starts after the long holiday - Mam can't wait! Jessica starts a new class and for John it is the first day in the English speaking school.

Bill and I have plans for next week on our own.

So here we are in Thailand.

Sawadee kah.