Thursday, April 30, 2009

 

Busy day with glass

Gosh I am tired this evening!
It has not been an extraordinarily busy day in the shop - though the figures tell a different story.

I spent quite a while this morning with my stock book. I went through everything except china, glass and books. I made new tickets for anything I had had for at least 2 years - that would have been in Rocking Horse days. All I want from these items now is to get my money back and maybe a pound or so more.

I also seem to have been busy making a succession of cups of tea for the busy folk at the main desk. That was mostly Bill and Jill.
Jill has had a tremendous day - but most of her success was a follow up to a glass fair she was selling at on Sunday.
She had a customer there who wanted to buy but didn't have his cheque book.
This man is a dealer or collector of high quality old glass.
I say I know very little about glass - but as I came down from the back of the shop to see it all out on the desk, I gasped with pleasure, for it looked so good. Seems I do know quality when I see it, even if I don't know maker's names.
So Jill sold a lot of glass (£785 worth of it) - but this was not really a success for Pilgrims.

I sold some glass today too - to Jill!
And Bill's sale was also glass - a pair of glass Vikings.

Jill's husband, Tony has been in today too - not all day. He took himself off by bus to Guildford and then by train to Ash and from there did some walking by the Basingstoke Canal. Tony is a character - he has the air of an aging rocker. But rock music is not his thing - he is an avid Radio 3 listener and is a devoted fan of Vaughan Williams (born in Dorking).

This was the last duty day until the first Monday in June. I left with a slightly wistful feeling, bidding my things a safe journey onwards to their new homes in my absence.
In fact we plan to pop in for a while next Tuesday to pay the rent, tidy up and collect any takings.

Well, I need an early night. I will have a quick cuppa and enjoy crawling into my bed.
There will be no bed at all this time next week - just an airplane seat.