Saturday, May 02, 2009

 

Me chief!

This is your chief speaking!
Well, not exactly your chief of course..... but I was chief to 4 men this afternoon.
This was at a men's southern league athletics match held at our home track.
Crawley fielded a strong team and we ended the afternoon as winners. I could see very strong performances on the track; my one regret about being a timekeeper is that I am so busy and have no time to pay much attention to the field events.
The team is managed by Tim Kimber - one of the stalwarts, many years ago, of the young athlete's team with Jamie and Ashley. Tim still runs well as a club athlete - he did the 5,000 metres today and the steeplechase.
My performance was good too. The afternoon went very smoothly and I enjoyed the happy band of timekeepers, some who I have not met before and Cecil - who we did meet at top meetings many years ago. I wonder how old he is now - he told me today that he qualified as a timekeeper in 1955. His timekeeping his still good - but not so his ability to find his mouth! His shirts have always been bedecked with stains and items of previous meals.
I came home to turn the computer on to see if there had been another Sussex win today. If Brighton could win (football) then they definitely would not be relegated - and they did win. It was touch and go - they could have lost and all the other results go against them.
But hooray - our local club stays in the division they are in. They are in Division 1, which might lead you to think they were in the top league. But no, Division 1 means they are in the 3rd league!
So, a pleasant day. There has been sunshine - but also a bit of a chilly wind.
Tomorrow we will have a day out. We will start at Fontwell early and then go to Bognor for our breakfast and then into Chichester. Where shall we take photos tomorrow I wonder?
Goodnight.