Tuesday, May 05, 2009

 

Keeping busy

For a short while before departure life can suddenly stand still and one wonders how to fill the hours.
I guess it might feel like that on Thursday morning, but today life seems normal and busy.
We have pretty well packed everything now. Luggage bags have been weighed and are within the required limits.
This morning I had my hair cut - it looks just a little different now; it is shorter at the back than I have had for ages and at last I think I have the style I want. Perhaps Bill can take a picture tomorrow.
After lunch we went to Dorking to pay the rent, tidy up and collect some takings.
Stephen and Judy were on duty. We stayed and had a cup of tea with them. Judy seems to like us and asked us to call in more often on Tuesdays. Her comments show just how much she can dislike some people and I am wary of such things. She was quite vehement in her dislike of Hilary.
On the way home we called in on Jenny to leave a house key with her. I just wanted some back up to the 2 octogenarians (Frieda and Rose) we are leaving in charge of the cats and the house.
We have taken written instructions to Frieda - bless her she told us she still has the notes about how to lock the back door! Thank goodness Rose is more knowing. She used to have cats and she knows that George and Harry will survive very well even if things are not done quite the same as usual.
Tomorrow Bill will cut the lawns outside the 3 houses of our block.
I have some other little chores to do - mostly communicating with people.
After lunch we will go to Nymans to enjoy the fabulous wisteria blooming, framed by the ruined mock Gothic stone window frames. So, I am sure there will be photographs.
After that we will call in on Marion - a colleague of mine from years ago. She and her husband live in one of Nymans cottages.
And so to relax now. Its the last part of All the Small Things, a serial which I have really enjoyed.
Goodnight.