Sunday, May 03, 2009

 

Sunday - day of rest for some

People look forward to their weekends.
They work through the week dreaming of rising later, relaxing, pottering in the garden etc.
I look forward to weekends to indulge in work - well, it seems like work; though of course it is only a game - a hobby.
We left home at quarter to seven this morning and drove to Fontwell, the other side of Arundel.
It was a big boot sale - so big, I sensed the organisers were a bit fraught to start with.
But we merely browsed and bought.
I even bought something for me - an Olympic souvenir. We had seen it last week at Ford . It is a boxed presentation huge metal ashtray in the shape of the Olympic stadium in Seoul (1988). Last week he wanted £20 for it - this week it was £15 with an Olympic spoon and a piece of crested china which I can sell.
I bought quite a lot.
Then we went to Bognor for breakfast - another family run cafe.
We enjoyed our food and drinks and a read of the Sunday papers - well, The News of the World was available.
There are so many things I didn't know and that The News of the World thinks I might want to know.
We drove on to Chichester; we parked in the car park - noting all the stalls waiting for the hooter, which is the signal to set up stalls.
We walked into the town centre, where I bought some long pressure socks to wear on our journey. I hope they might ease the swollen ankles which I am prone to after long flights.
Then we battled round the boot sale stalls. It can be a bit of a struggle because everybody can be there at half past eleven - all the hoi polloy! We prefer the early start ones so that we can be there before the more casual hunters.
At one point, we seemed to be surrounded by 4 older women with huge tall, square trolleys. The women didn't really know what they were looking for and just idly stood there, in the way, dithering. Bill was trapped! There are push chairs and dogs on leads, all keeping us away from the stalls.
I have often said to Bill that a trolley on wheels would be useful to me - but he hates them because they do make life difficult for everybody else.
I bought lots more. Lots of china and glass and interesting bits.
We bought some chutneys and jams too. I am looking forward to the mandarin and lemon grass chutney and also the Thai sweet chilli chutney. I sampled both those at the stall. The jams we bought were plum and ginger and fig.
We bought a few things at one stall from a middle aged looking man - turned out he is the same age as Jamie! A few months younger in fact. They had 1950s and 1960s things. We bought a 60s Habitat lampshade in plastic; I commented that it was a pity it wasn't the orange one that we used to have. Our man said if it had been orange it would have been in his house.
So, it was a very successful day of buying.
This afternoon I began the task of writing things up - honestly, we must have about 50 items to write up today.
I have done quite a lot - the remainder will have to wait until tomorrow and hopefully that pile will be joined by more.
We had talked of going to Epsom tomorrow, but we really are very tired. So we think we will go to one a little closer to home and which doesn't start too early.
But right now it is time to make another cup of tea and think about bed.
Goodnight.