Thursday, February 12, 2009

 

Musing on potential evils. What do you think? Comments please.

As predicted today was rather like yesterday.
Jim has been working hard - and drinking lots of tea. We now have a fully functioning bath - it has handles on either side; so, maybe I would find it a possibility to lower myself down and haul myself out with a bit more ease. But this evening I will wait for the shower, I think. HOpefully that will be installed tomorrow. We still have no wash basin.

I have worked hard on EBay items - I described and listed another 18 things today.
There will be another busy 3 days when all the auctions finish.

The sun shone brightly for much of the day and indoors I felt really warm - though outdoors there was a real chill in the air; and later there was a little snow.

This evening I muse a little on the potential dangers of the internet.
I am thinking of this as I begin to offer my blog to other people to read if they choose.
Today I contacted the writer of a blog that I enjoy - the "host" is Lana, a Canadian young woman who lives on Phuket. She and Jamie have been in contact, but have not met.
I enjoy what she writes - a mixtures of news and comments and philosophising and I feel tuned into the views she shares with her readers.
Today I told her of my blog and this maybe could open the door to free access to all that I write.
I don't mind for myself, but I have to respect the privacy of people I might write about - the people we meet and do things with, including children.
Is it really such a dangerous world that we feel we shouldn't allow images of our children to be seen outside of a narrow circle of family and friends?
The tabloid press would have us believe that the world is full of evil folk, waiting to pounce.
Children are not allowed to play outdoors very much these days, which is very sad. In my youth we would roam the fields all day, build camps and play all sorts of imaginary games.
Are things so much worse now - or are communications so much better that we hear of every tragedy in such detail, that it becomes our own tragedy. We start to feel the emotion of strangers - the parents of a murdered child for example. Once, we would hardly have known about it, if it had occurred some distance away.
When I was young evil thing did happen. The worst that happened to me was that a man exposed himself - I didn't actually know what was going on and therefore felt no hint of potential trauma.
I know of people who have suffered far worse, and tales of child sexual abuse are emerging now amongst people of my own generation.
Now, I really would not belittle any tragedy or bad thing that has happened, but I must hold on to the belief that these things are still quite rare. Newspapers do not fill their pages with the common place.
And in the same way, surely abuse, in some form or other, of names or images found on the internet is also rare?
Every bad case is to be deplored and I do feel a real horror and bewilderment at the evil I hear of.
Having mulled all this over I have decided therefore to ask Lana not to pass on the details of my blog at the moment.
And if you are reading this, Lana - then welcome to my world and my ramblings about it.

Right, I am missing Masterchef on TV - I am not a masterchef, but love learning some new ways of thinking about the food I prepare.

Goodnight.