Monday, February 02, 2009

 

The big snow situation

The day of the big snow storm.
I didn't sleep well last night. I was listening to local radio and maybe anxious about making the decision about whether to go to Dorking today or not.
People were having such a bad time, caught for hours in traffic jams and all very much in the Dorking area.
By morning I thought that we would be able to get through - unless yet another lorry jack knifed or too many cars slid out of control. But with more snow forecast I wondered about the journey home.
And then of course we had to consider whether a day in the cold shop would be worthwhile on a day when people were being told to go out on the roads only if absolutely necessary.
Finally we decided that we wouldn't go.
I know it means that the shop was shut today - but maybe in the scheme of things that was hardly noticed.

When the snow stopped this morning we donned our thick hats and scarves and coats - and in my case, my nice cheap wellington boots from Lidls. I had 2 post cards that had been bought on EBay to post and we needed milk - and maybe something tasty for lunch.
We got the something tasty - I had a vegetable samosa. Milk was more of a problem - the local shop was still waiting for a delivery.
Finally to save having to find some other shop Bill bough a pint of full fat milk. It is no bother to me - because I have none of it.

By the time we got home the snow had begun to fall again - and for a while, this afternoon, it was like a blizzard out there.
Bill got busy in the bathroom - removing the shelves and re varnishing the pine cladding round the bath.
Phew! The heater picked up the fumes and made me feel queasy. But it had to be done.

Photographs from the day are sorted - and some appear below.

I am looking forward to the new series of Who Do You Think You Are - it is like a sort of biography, which I always enjoy and shows how genealogy can open all sorts of new ways of thinking about one's family.

It is not snowing now. It has warmed to a fraction above freezing. The roads are very wet. And of course the temperature is due to drop quite a lot overnight, leaving cars to deal with skating rink conditions in the morning.


Now for some pictures.



I like the snow on this large spiky plant. The leaves almost prevent people from coming down the front path!



This was taken on the way back from our trip to Southgate Parade.
It is what I would call the upper level old Brighton Road - the slope leads down to The Half Moon pub.




Here we are back at home - monkland 119.
The numbers were bought in Sorrento.
Bill is sorting out the taking of a funny photo.



This is a bit like the picture I took from the front door before yesterday's bedtime.



In the back garden. A collection of bits of wood and 2 bricks.
It shows the depth of the snow.
One of those bricks we bought just yesterday morning at Stable Antiques.
Years ago I found a brick commemorating the birth of Prince William at a car boot sale and thought it a novel souvenir. Yesterday I found one commemorating his parent's wedding.
I now have 2 commemorative bricks - am I a collector?


Maybe if you click on this you will see the snow flakes as they fall.



The raised bed in the back garden.




Now for 4 pictures taken by Bill which are much more fun.



This is what he did to the snow on the bird bath in the front garden.




Bird footprints.




Red and white.




More red and white. We were just back from our shopping trip - hence the shopping bag.
The road looks pretty empty.