Sunday, February 08, 2009

 

A good Sunday down on the Sussex coast.

Today has been a Sunday like it ought to be.
Sundays of long ago, in our younger days, took some to church and maybe out for tea later in the day. There would be tinned salmon, maybe for tea; and there might be tinned fruit with blancmange and of course a Victoria sponge. It would most certainly not have been a day for shopping.
And neither has it been shopping day for us - though of course things have been purchased.
Sunday is the main car boot sale day and we are blessed, even in Winter, by having a number of different venues to choose.
We were up and out early - about 7 o'clock. It is very noticeable that although 7 o'clock is still before sunrise, it is already beginning to get light at that hour. The days are gradually lengthening. We dressed up warmly, because the forecast had suggested that the day could start very cold - in fact it was just minus one degree as we left home and it warmed up quite a lot.
The snow has almost disappeared in Sussex - except on the north facing slopes and villages of the South Downs. There was no snow once over the Downs and towards the sea.

Our first stop was the car park of Fontwell racecourse. The boot sale there was much smaller than we remember from the past - but maybe that just reflects the time of year and the weather.
We didn't buy very much - some 1950s kitchen glassware and a few books.

We then drove into Bognor - by the sea.
We have been in several cafes for breakfast at Bognor. But today, remembering the good cheap breakfasts in Wetherspoons, I wondered if there was one of these establishments in Bognor and we passed it almost as soon as I had suggested it.
So we enjoyed a pleasant time with a good breakfast - including some of the high potassium things that I should be careful with.......... mmmm - baked beans!
I get 2 big mugs of tea for my money in Wetherspoons and I enjoyed that.

Then we went for a short walk down to the beach, admiring the boats, the gulls, the waves and also the buildings in the streets. I have never seen so many houses with balconies! How lovely to be able to sit outside in the sunshine and enjoy feeling part of the seaside world.
And there was sunshine. I was beginning to feel rather over dressed.
There are some pictures below.

We then drove to Chichester for the lunch time boot sale. Oh it was crowded! The sun brought out so many people to jostle round the stalls.
I was disappointed because the last 2 times we have been there I saw a stall selling good quality things that I would like to have in Pilgrims. The first time I bought; last Sunday I declined - just feeling too cold to think. I was ready to buy today - but the couple were not there.
I didn't buy very much really - but Bill made up for it, with model soldiers, model cars, 2 aircraft pictures etc.
I got so warm, struggling with all my extra clothes, that I had to return to the car and leave my thick coat there. The temperature had reached the dizzy heights of 8 degrees!

The journey home was a delight. The sunshine really brought out the colours of the countryside. We drove over Duncton Hill and down the steep side of the Downs and on to Billingshurst.
The trees looked magnificent - with many patches of snowdrops along the roadside banks.

We got home to deal with our purchases - now all washed and written up and ready for the next stage in their journey onwards.
I also had a few EBay sales to deal with - these were the re-lists - some were on their 3rd attempt at selling.
The failures are due to continue their onward journeys in a charity shop.
But there are parcels to post tomorrow.

We had a good meal of left overs - lots of veg to make a sort of bubble and squeak and cold turkey with some cold bacon and stuffing. We have watched The Antiques Road show and Lark Rise to Candleford. A film is being recorded - and I hope we get round to watching The Devil Wore Prada at some point. It was much praised and Meryl Streep is a fine actress.

Tomorrow is our day in the shop - 2 weeks already since we were last there. I hope there are some envelopes for both us.

Now for some Bognor pictures - and let me not hear of anybody muttering as George V is reputed to have done on his death bed..... "Bu**er Bognor"!
We quite like some of its faded charms.



There is very little fishing done nowadays from Bognor beach. But the few boats made a good splash of colour.

The side streets are the most interesting - three storey houses, and most with balconies.

This is a close up of the pub sign seen in the previous picture. Bognor is not a place for ocean going liners!


There are some smart looking hotels. The Royal faces the sea. I don't know how many guests there would be in February.


There were cars outside The Royal Norfolk Hotel, very big and grand in front of one of the many green areas. I guess The Royal Norfolk had guests.

We walked through a small park, which separated the 2 sides of the street - a street lined with attractive terraces of houses, most with balconies.


The tide was high - with the gentle waves rolling onto the steeply banked pebbles.

Looking westwards.


And me - with warm hat, thick coat - and still with gloves on.
How I look forward to putting those things away and getting shorts and sandals out.