Thursday, February 05, 2009

 

Another day - another scan - another hospital.

There was an achievement this morning - I completed the hundredth, and final, round of Cradle of Rome.
Now I shall have to find another game on Ashley's disc.

There was another achievement when the postman called - a payment I have been waiting 3 weeks for had arrived.

But of course the main activity of my day has been to visit hospital - two different hospitals as it turned out.
It would be easy to have blamed this on hospital administrators - but it was my fault.
I arrived at Crawley hospital and was seen at the reception desk - now, I could blame the receptionist for failing to spot a problem.
Bill and I sat down and waited - and waited.
Where was my litre of foul drink?
Sensibly I didn't wait too long to ask if there were problems.
And yes - there were problems because the CT scanner had broken down..... "Didn't you pick up the message?" I was asked.
They had phoned on Tuesday and left a message on the answer phone, which we had obviously failed to check.
I was asked if I could get to the East Surrey straight away and Bill and I set off for the 10 mile journey.
I had a pleasant surprise when I sat in the waiting room. A litre of drink was brought to me and it was ...... plain water!
The first scan, out of at least 12, when I haven't felt sick.
But then came the needle problem.
The radiographer tried on the left arm, then another came and took the right arm - they both seemed to be trying to gain an entrance.
But the right arm came out on top.
The scan itself is no bother.
But I hate the time when dye is inserted into the veins through the needle in the arm. It feels so unlike anything else. I burn and squirm from mouth to the base of my torso.
But it was soon over and we were driving back home on a miserable murky evening.
Yes, the snow caused problems earlier in the week - and is still causing lots of problems in other parts of the country. But I enjoyed it. It sparkles and is bright. People tend to work and play together, helping each other if there are difficulties. It feels sad to be back to the grey.

I had made a huge casserole this morning, using German rissoles from Lidl. I was really hungry, because I had been fasting since breakfast.

And that was our day. I am glad the CT scan is out of the way now and I shall be exceedingly glad when I see the doctor on March 3rd to discuss what can be seen.
I don't feel like there is anything new wrong with me.
So, for the next 4 weeks I must assume that all will be well - with just a few lapses into worry I guess.

Hope some of you have enjoyed a good day playing in the snow - I have seen pictures from Derbyshire. Mind you, they promise us a little more tomorrow.

Goodnight.