Thursday, October 09, 2008

 

9th October Dorking Day.

It has been a happy day in Dorking.
We spent a lot of time this morning dusting and rearranging in order to include some of the fresh stock that we have.
It has not been extremely busy with customers, but those that were with us were pleasant and chatty.
One lady, very smart, came through the door clutching her Fortnum and Mason carrier bag asking Jill if she was interested in some glasses. The woman was delightful - rich and slightly eccentric, living in the south of France with a "pied a terre" in Paris. Jill wanted the glasses and gave her £120.
I also bought today. A man brought in a set of flying geese - so many homes had these on the wall in the 1930s and 1950s. If they had been by Beswick then they might have been more desirable; but these had no make and I felt I couldn't offer more than £15. He then asked if I would give him £16 for the geese and 2 crested bits of china - and I did.
Crested china should sell on EBay.
Both Bill and I sold today. In fact Bill took more than half of the sales total today!
We both went out for a breath of fresh air and sunshine round the town today - lovely day.
Now here are some photos of the new look area.




Bill bought the decanter with 2 glasses a week or so ago. I realised that I needed more pretty things to attract the eyes and hearts of the customers.



This is my "orange" section.
Lets see if carnival glass might have some appeal in Dorking.
On the shelf below there is some 1950s black,

Here Bill has some recent more masculine interest items. I think I mentioned the letter weighing scales that he bought in from somebody who came into the shop 2 weeks ago.
He has worked on the brass case ship's clock during the last weeks and also the brass barometer.
Oh and the clock does have 2 hands! It just happened that I took the picture at twenty past four.


Some juvenile pretty things.


Toy soldiers and a pair of coronation coaches.


More farm animals and some of the model cars in Bill's cabinet.


A view of our area and through the window to the other side of the road.
The window is always well displayed and changed every two weeks, using things from every area.
There are more little sections than I photographed.
So that has been Thursday.
Goodnight.