Tuesday, October 07, 2008

 

7th Oct. Medical and hot stuff Tuesday.

This morning of course was dominated by the trip to the hospital - not that we were there very long.
I was surprisingly nervous about this appointment. It wasn't that I was worried about my health unduly; I was just concerned that in unfamiliar surroundings I might fail to get a bag on successfully.
I think I should have seen the stoma nurse before now - but it seems it is up to me to ask for an appointment.
So Julie caught up with all that has been going on. She listened as I outlined any problems and then showed me other gadgets and apparatus and such like that might make life even easier. She understood that having got a system that works pretty well, then I am loathe to change it. But there are all sorts of things that I could have to make things better.
She told me that the bruising or colouration of the skin is very common. It might be best to change the bag every day for a while. So, plenty of practice for me in doing the job on my own. Julie helped find a different technique for doing this.
She also advised joining the urostomy association which has a journal and I will feel closer to others who have had the bag for much longer and see all the adverts for things that I might like to try. There is an industry devoted to all my needs. The society can help with travel insurance.
I have since been in touch with the secretary who will send me an information pack.
And the good news for the day is that there has been no leaking since the bag was fixed at the hospital.

We had our cooked meal in the middle of the day.
And we learned the name of a spicy dish which is too hot for us! Piri piri! If I had looked it up first I would have known. It is made with the African red devil chilli. This meal was one of those that supermarkets prepare to go with their complete foreign meals. You can choose different types of rice, main meals and accompaniments. The prices for all are very reasonable and especially so when they are selling the main meal off cheaply because it has reached its sell by date. The chicken was fine - and the rice which I had cooked. But most of the sauce remained on the plate.
We like things quite spicy and interesting - but this was just a bit too much for our delicate palates.
African red devil plant from Wikipedia.
This afternoon we have been out again.
We took 2 parcels to the post office. A little jug with a picture of Boston church has gone to Australia and the Downham Market hair tidy sold for over £18 and is going back to Downham Market.
Then we joined the queue of people at the doctor's surgery for our flu jabs.
Ouch!
And now my arm itches and probably there will be swelling and some pain for a week, if past experience is anything to go by. Bill doesn't react so badly.
I had bought a couple of nice choc bars to take round to Ruth. She likes goodies as much as we do and she is having a hard time just now. There is the lack of sleep and a breast infection which is very painful and needing more time because she is having to express milk. Otto contentedly feeds from the bottle for a couple of days and is a little pig! He has put on almost a pound in 8 days.
I had intended to come home and describe some more things for EBay, but got way laid by the needs of the Roman Empire!

I think I shall rest for much of the remainder of the evening . I do seem to get tired, despite the B12.